[Vocabulary] Verb tenses of "to drive out" - need some hints.

• Thread starter chr0710
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,914
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chr0710

Hi I'm learning about verb tenses, and I have a question regarding the sentence "To drive someone out" as in "Our family was driven out of the Far north" (past sample)

And I wanted to know: It seems like the verb "drive" changes depending on the following 2 situations

Military drive out families (simple present)
Families are driven out by the military. (simple present right?)

Are we not in the same time/verb tense in both situations? Then how come drive changes to driven? Is there gramatical a word/explanation for this?

I assume the time is past simple in both these situations?

They drove out our family (past simple)
Our family was driven out by someone (past simple still?)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, "was driven out" is the past simple passive.

They drove me out. (Past simple active)
I was driven out by them. (Past simple passive)

They have driven me out. (Present perfect active)
I have been driven out by them. (Present perfect passive)

They had driven me out. (Past perfect active)
I had been driven out by them. (Past perfect passive)

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi I'm learning about verb tenses, and I have a question regarding the sentence "To drive someone out" as in "Our family was driven out of the Far north" (past sample)

And I wanted to know: It seems like the verb "drive" changes depending on the following 2 situations

Military drive out families (simple present)

PM: Yes

Families are driven out by the military. (simple present right?)

PM: No; "are" + past participle "driven" used to form passive voice (note the by- phrase which is typical of passives).

Are we not in the same time/verb tense in both situations? Then how come drive changes to driven? Is there gramatical a word/explanation for this?

PM: Yes - the change is not about time but from active voice to passive voice.

I assume the time is past simple in both these situations?

They drove out our family (past simple)

PM: Yes

Our family was driven out by someone (past simple still?)

PM: Same time, but "was" + past participle "driven" to form the passive voice.

Does that help?

C

chr0710

Does that help?

Thank you, Yes It makes good sense: So is it correct to say that

"Families were driven out by sb" is past simple (time) in a passive voice where "were" and past participle "driven" is used, or is "past simple" vs "were" + past participle not the same time/thing? I'm just wondering how to explain it correctly with words.

"Families are driven out by sb" is Are + past participle in simple present time?

Last edited:
C

chr0710

I think I get it: So if we take the verb "drink" then the past participle is drunk, so do we use "drunk" for ALL verb tenses when it's passive voice or is "Drunken" used sometimes instead? I tried some examples.

I drink a bottle of water (present simple- active)
A bottle of water is drunk by me (present simple - passive with past participle "drunk")

I'm drinking a bottle of water (present continuous - active)
A bottle of water is being drunk by me (present continuous - passive)

I drank a bottle of water yesterday (past simple - active)
A bottle of water was drunk by me yesterday (past simple - passive)

I was drinking a bottle of water yesterday when my mom called (past continuous - active)
A bottle of water was being drunk by me yesterday when my mom called (past continuous - passive)

I have drunk a bottle of water many times before (present perfect - active)
A bottle has been drunk by me many times before (present perfect - passive)

I have been drinking a bottle of water for 15 minutes (present perfect continuous - active )
A bottle of water has been drunk by me for 15 minutes (present perfect continuous - passive)

I had been drinking a bottle of water for 15 minutes when she arrives (past perfect continuous - active)
A bottle of water had been drunk by me for 15 minutes when she arrives ( Past perfect continuous - passive)

C

chr0710

We do not use 'drunken' in passive constructions. None of the passive sentences you have produced is natural.
Thank you :) Are none the passive sentences I produced natural? I though I correctly applied correctly what I had just learned? What's incorrect about them? I'm curious now.

C

chr0710

Just a last one :)

· Since that day, we have earned our living as best we could. (present perfect )
· Since that day, we have had to earn our living as best we could. (present perfect - it's just the verb have that's being conjugated instead of earn)

C

chr0710

They are not grammaticaloy incorrect. It's just that very few native speakers would ever think of producing such sentences.
Well to be honest, I never think I have produced such a sentence in public either :p

If I replaced with word drink with Driven (and bottle of water with car) then maybe it sounds better? :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please stop using home-made emoticons — especially to replace standard punctuation marks.

If you want to insert smileys, click on the :) icon and choose from the selection available.

Status
Not open for further replies.