Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hello everyone!

I'm preparing for advanced level english exam, so I decided to write some essays every week to improve my writing skills. The exercise is the following:

Reasons why the Internet has become so important:

• the opportunity it offers to buy and sell online.
  • the ease with which we can keep in contact with friends or relations.
  • its use as a study tool.
Some opinions expressed in the discussion:

• Social media allows me to stay in contact with family members all over the country.
  • You can shop around, read reviews and get good bargains on the web.
  • The Internet offers me an enormous library to help with my studies.
Write an essay discussing TWO of the reasons given for the importance of the Internet. You should explain which reason is most important, giving reasons in support of your answer.
You may, if you wish, make use of the opinions expressed in the discussion, but you should use your own words as far as possible. (300 words)

And below is my answer. I know its a bit long, but I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

Essay: the importance of the internet in our lives

I belive the two reasons why the internet is important are the ease it provides in keeping in contact with others and its use as a study tool.
The internet gives us a comfortable way to communicate with anyone freely and instantly. This means you no longer have to resort to slower forms of communication like a letter, neither it is necessary for both parties to be available at the same time like with phone. E-mail and instant messaging present methods that combine the advantages of letters with the positives of phone calls. You can be in a restaurant and be able to communicate with someone distant. The internet lets us get in touch with long lost friends and keep in contact with family members.

With the development in bandwith video chat is a viable way to exchange information. This means that right now human communication arrived at an unprecedented era, where people of different cultures and background are able to meet, converse and work together. With this in mind I also have to mention the downsides of being constantly available like how ceaseless notifications drew our efforts away from otherwise necessary tasks and cyber bullying, that would deserve an essay on its own.
The power of the internet as a study tool is clear the knowledge collected at wikipedia and the recent rise of online courses prove it. A search on google reveal even the most complex subjects’ secrets. The once tedious work of looking up information became easy and acessible for everyone.

Furthermore sites like Khan Academy, Coursera or edX offer learners from all around the globe opportunity to learn form the best.
In a nutshell, the internet privdes us opportunities to be be life long learners meanwhile giving us the ability to talk to anyone from anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm preparing for an advanced-level English exam, so I decided to write some essays every week to improve my writing skills.

Essay: the importance of the Internet in our lives

I believe the two reasons why the Internet is important are the ease it provides in keeping in contact with others and its use as a study tool.

The Internet [STRIKE]gives us[/STRIKE] provides a [STRIKE]comfortable way[/STRIKE] useful platform for people to communicate with anyone freely and instantly. This means you no longer have to resort to slower forms of communication like writing a letter, and neither [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] is it necessary for both parties to be available at the same time like with the phone. Email and instant messaging present methods that combine the advantages of letters with the positives of phone calls. You can be in a restaurant and be able to communicate with someone distant. The Internet lets us get in touch with long-lost friends and keep in contact with family members.

With the [STRIKE]development in[/STRIKE] increasing availability of more bandwidth, video chat is another viable way [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] of exchanging information. This means that right now human communication has [STRIKE]arrived at an unprecedented[/STRIKE] entered a new era, where people of different cultures and backgrounds are able to meet, converse and work together in the virtual world of the Internet. With this in mind, I also have to mention the downsides of being constantly available like how ceaseless notifications [STRIKE]drew[/STRIKE] draw our efforts away from otherwise necessary tasks, and cyber bullying, but that would deserve an essay on its own.

The power of the Internet as a study tool is clear. The [STRIKE]knowledge collected at[/STRIKE] information available on Wikipedia, and the recent rise of online courses are a testament to that. [STRIKE]prove it.[/STRIKE] A search on Google reveals even the most complex subjects’ secrets. The once tedious work of looking up information [STRIKE]became[/STRIKE] has become easy and accessible for everyone.

Furthermore, sites like Khan Academy, Coursera or edX offer learners from all around the globe the opportunity to learn form the best.

In a nutshell, the Internet provides us opportunities to be be life-long learners [STRIKE]mean[/STRIKE] while giving us the ability to [STRIKE]talk to[/STRIKE] communicate with anyone from anywhere.

Please use the spell checker to reduce the mistakes in your writing.

reifm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Please use the spell checker to reduce the mistakes in your writing.

Thanks again for your help, next time I'll be sure to use a spell checker!

Status
Not open for further replies.