[Vocabulary] The genuine infinite is not a 'modification'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geralt of Rivia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It is perfectly correct to say there is an infinite of things. That is, there arealways more things than one can specify. But it is easy to demonstrate that there is no infinite number, infinite line, or any other infinite quantity, if these are taken as genuine wholes… . Strictly speaking, the true infinite exists only in the absolute, which precedes all composition and is not formed by the addition of parts… . The thought of finite and infinite is only appropriate wherever there is a magnitude or multiplicity. The genuine infinite is not a ‘modification’: it is the absolute. Indeed, it is precisely by modifying it that one limits oneself and forms the finite.

– New Essays on Human Understanding, Chapter 17

I cannot grasp the meaning of the sentences in red. Can anyone help me with these philosophical sentences?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Modification

If you quote from this work again, please credit the author — GW Leibniz (if only so that we know who to blame).

The tenth word should be 'infinity'.

I have no idea what it all means.

Geralt of Rivia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Anyone with some interest in philosophy?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It is perfectly correct to say there is an infinite number? of things. That is, there are always more things than one can specify. But it is easy to demonstrate that there is no infinite number, infinite line, or any other infinite quantity, if these are taken as genuine wholes… . Strictly speaking, the true infinite exists only in the absolute, which precedes all composition and is not formed by the addition of parts… . The thought of finite and infinite is only appropriate wherever there is a magnitude or multiplicity. The genuine infinite is not a ‘modification’: it is the absolute. Indeed, it is precisely by modifying it that one limits oneself and forms the finite.
As I understand it, the highlighted text means that "infinite" as a concept (and a word) should be the original from which "finite" can be derived, not the other way around.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think he means that we tend to try to imagine the infinite by, say, extending a line without limits. The writer is suggesting that this is wrong because the infinite is not an extension of the finite- the finite derives from the infinite when we impose limits on it

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Tdol. The writer appears to be saying that the infinite should be taken as the baseline. The finite is a smaller, limited version of the infinite.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

If you quote from this work again, please credit the author — GW Leibniz (if only so that we know who to blame).
I'd say we can blame the translator from the German, or the transposer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

He's saying that although the notion of the infinite doesn't make much sense if you think of it as a whole consisting of parts, it does make sense when taken to be an absolute.

This absolute cannot be 'modified' by, say, subtracting 1, or dividing by 2, since operations/modifications like these "form the finite."

Leibniz was attempting to defend the idea of the infinite, (which was a key component of both his metaphysics and his Theodicy), in response to the ideas of contemporary thinkers such as Spinoza, Locke, Descartes, Galileo.

I think that if you read the whole chapter, or even the whole of the New Essays, (which were written in French, not German), and some commentary texts, only then will you gain a really clear understanding of what he meant. It's very difficult to grasp such ideas from a single passage like this, without the wider intellectual context.

By the way, interesting as it is, this doesn't strictly seem to be a discussion of language use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.