Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #1

    Question The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Hi,

    The position of the light projector is in the front of the object. If the angle is equal to 0 or 180 degrees, then no shadow will be produced as the light direction is parallel to the x-axis.
    It seems there are too many "the"s in the first sentence, but I think it is correct. Is the first highlighted "the" can be omitted to make the sentence as clear and concise as possible?

    For the second highlighted "degrees", is the plural correct in here?

    I used "degrees" because the preceding number is 180, but it doesn't match with the 0 because the 0 should say "0 degree". Does it need to change to "If the angle is equal to 0 degree or 180 degrees"?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by fenglish; 02-Sep-2016 at 04:31. Reason: change "does" to "doesn't"

  1. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,851
    #2

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    the 0 should say "0 degree".
    Zero is plural, so it should be '0 degrees'.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 330
    #3

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    Zero is plural, so it should be '0 degrees'.
    Thanks, but I found an interesting link, it says zero may be plural and may be not.

    http://english.stackexchange.com/que...is-zero-plural

    "No" is usually plural as well: "I have no books." Sometimes it's not: "No moon was in the sky" (unless you live on Mars or Jupiter). I would guess the reason that "zero" is plural is that it inherited the most common plurality of "no". In fact, zero is not always plural. You say "zero tolerance" and not "zero tolerances".

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,851
    #4

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    I think 'zero' in 'zero tolerance' means 'none at all' rather than the number 0.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,851
    #5

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Quote Originally Posted by fenglish View Post
    Is the first highlighted "the" can be omitted to make the sentence as clear and concise as possible?
    I think the meaning would be different if it was omitted, because 'the front' means 'the front part'.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 3,362
    #6

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wai View Post
    I think the meaning would be different if it was omitted, because 'the front' means 'the front part'.
    po

    The position of the light projector is in the front of the object.

    How can the position of the projector be in "the front part of the object"? The projector is just in front of the object.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #7

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    I don't think we can tell where the light projector is unless we know what the object is. I can't see a problem with a light projector being in the front of an object though. We need more information.

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,851
    #8

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    How can the position of the projector be in "the front part of the object"?
    A projector is an object. What is the problem with putting an object in the front part of another object?
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 3,362
    #9

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    Object A is in the front part of object B.

    This sounds like Object A is riding on object B to me.
    I am not a teacher.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #10

    Re: The position of the light projector is in the front of the object

    "The lens is in the front part of the camera."
    "The engine is in the front part of the car."
    "The pencils are in the front part of the drawer."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2014, 15:01
  2. turn it on/look after it/ Phrasal verbs object pronoun position
    By worcester in forum English Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2013, 05:35
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Nov-2013, 05:35
  4. What is 'Hector Projector'?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Aug-2009, 17:07
  5. projector and beamer
    By emily wong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2006, 02:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •