Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
I've become to notice that when a person whispers he or she needs some specific areas in his or her mouth that gives away his or her accent right away. So how could I use whispering in a way so I could develop my own English accent? Thanks!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What you're referring to is known as articulation. The production of sounds for speech require us to place our tongue in various places in our mouth, as well as opening, closing, or constricting our lips and other parts of the air tract.

I actually tell me students just the opposite - they want to whisper words under their breath when learning pronunciation, and I constantly tell them to speak them at normal volume. They're afraid to speak up because they may make a mistake. I point out that mistakes are part of the process and a necessary factor of improvement.

This allows you to correctly articulate the sounds - if you whisper, you can mimic the sounds without necessarily articulating correctly. At full volume, when you make a mistake it's easily identifiable.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
In my experience, whispering tends to mask rather than reveal an accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.