Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Respected Sir i am biggner in English , Please help me how i can improve my language

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Respected Sir i am biggner in English , Please help me how i can improve my language

The single best, surest method

Find a fiction book in modern English. Not a textbook, not olde English (like Shakespeare or Pride and Prejudice even). Read a few pages; if you cannot understand many words, select an easier book. Missing 5 words or so on a page is ok. Is this book interesting to you? If yes, buy that book. If not, find one that meets my criteria that you are interested in.

Read that book, every night, for 15 minutes. Every night, not just sometimes. Preferably last thing you do before sleep.

Read for the story, for the flow, for the feelings. Do not treat this as a grammar or learning exercise. Do not stop to lookup words you don't know. This is vital. While doing your reading, guess the meaning as best you can from the context. By all means, look the words up tomorrow, but while doing your nighttime reading, guess the meaning and keep going.

Your job is to enjoy the story as best you can; allow your imagination to bring the story to life for you.

What happens

While your conscious mind is engaged in enjoying the story (if you have followed my advice and picked according to my criteria), you are distracted from telling yourself, "I'm terrible at English. This is too hard for me. I'll never learn those grammar rules" and so on. Instead, your conscious mind is enjoying itself, "seeing" the story unfold in your mind, causing your emotions to respond.

Meanwhile, your tireless subconscious is observing. It is matching sentence patterns with imagery, with emotional responses. Building associations between ideas. Noting sentence structure, empirically deducing grammar rules, absorbing vocabulary and the different colors of meaning of familiar words.

When you fall asleep, all of this is fresh on your mind, and your subconscious, which doesn't sleep, goes to work building the physical memories and structures that allow us to draw memories, form sentences, choose the best words for a given feeling, etc.

You will literally do most of the heavy learning while you sleep. This is a time-tested method for acquiring language. It is by far the best effort-to-reward ratio of any technique for learning language.

Bonus step

It would be an extra bonus if you have access to a native speaker willing to discuss the book with you. This is the extra step that puts all that you have learned into active use.

Good luck!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Respected Sir[/STRIKE] Unnecessarily formal. Also, please don't use "Sir" - it excludes all our female members.

I am a [STRIKE]biggner[/STRIKE] beginner in English. Please help me [STRIKE]how i can[/STRIKE] to improve. [STRIKE]my language[/STRIKE]

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Here is your first lesson:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular). ]

Be careful with your spelling. If your browser has a spell checker, it should have put a red line under "biggner", showing you that it is wrong.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Here is your first lesson:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalize the word "I" (first person singular). ]

Be careful with your spelling. If your browser has a spell checker, it should have put a red line under "biggner", showing you that it is wrong.

Guess what's wrong with your statement?

Hint 1: "capitalize"

Hint 2:
"Vraiment ?".
"¿De veras?".

"Vraiment" and "veras" are underlined in red on my screen. Why? They are correctly spelled.

Hint 3:
"真的吗?"
"На самом деле?".
"Αλήθεια?".
These have no red. Why not?

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Are you suggesting that capitalise is incorrect?

No, I was drawing attention to the fact that on my computer, it underlines in red. The reason that is so was the point.

I would guess that his localized language is set to British (or some other commonwealth country) English, while mine is set to American English. That, plus the other hints, were to point out that locale settings on each persons computer may well be different to his, yours, and/or mine. Just because something underlines red for one person, does not mean it will be flagged for everyone else.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Fine, but ems was not saying anything about spell checkers except that one on the OP's browser would have shown up 'biggner'. I think it probably would have on yours, too. Spell checkers are far from perfect, but they do show clear blunders.

No. I just verified this with a colleague, whose system has Chinese as his localized default.

His system does not underline English spelling mistakes while he is typing in a browser window.

Status
Not open for further replies.