Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 4,592
    #1

    My friend came to my house for the first time.

    "My friend came to my house for the first time since I fell ill."

    "My friend came to my house for the first time after I fell ill."

    "My friend came to my house for the first time after my illness."

    "My friend came to my house for the first time after falling ill."

    Please check.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,369
    #2

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Congratulations, tufguy. They are all correct.

    They don't all mean the same thing, though. In particular, the person who was ill is different in the last sentence.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2016
    • Posts: 357
    #3

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. That is your intended meaning? First sentence is correct.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,918
    #4

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDan View Post
    It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. That Is that your intended meaning? The first sentence is correct.
    ChinaDan, we spend a lot of time on the forum making sure that learners understand how to construct a question correct (subject-verb inversion) and that they know they must write complete sentences. As a native speaker and teacher, please make sure your own posts follow standard constructions because learners will assume that everything you write is correct. Thanks.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2016
    • Posts: 357
    #5

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    ChinaDan, we spend a lot of time on the forum making sure that learners understand how to construct a question correct (subject-verb inversion) and that they know they must write complete sentences. As a native speaker and teacher, please make sure your own posts follow standard constructions because learners will assume that everything you write is correct. Thanks.
    I suppose I could get into an involved, convoluted argument were I defend that my usage is "correct"; however, I take your point, and understand the spirit of your comment. I'll endeavor to monitor my form in future.

  3. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 4,592
    #6

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDan View Post
    It is likely that the first example is what you intend to say. Your friend has been to your house before, but this is the first time since you became ill. That is your intended meaning? First sentence is correct.
    Yes.

  4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 4,592
    #7

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Congratulations, tufguy. They are all correct.

    They don't all mean the same thing, though. In particular, the person who was ill is different in the last sentence.
    In the last sentence the ill person is my friend, right? I just wanted to check whether it works this way or not or whether it works other way round. (is this sentence correct?)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,369
    #8

    Re: My friend came to my house for the first time.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "My friend came to my house for the first time after falling ill."
    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    In the last sentence the ill person is my friend, right? I just wanted to check whether it works this way or not or whether it works other way round. (is this sentence correct?)
    Yes, the sentence is grammatically correct and it is your friend who has gotten sick. It may not mean what you want, though. The sentence means your friend was ill when he visited you.
    I am not a teacher.

Similar Threads

  1. Friend's house rent has been increased.
    By tufguy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Jun-2016, 09:55
  2. [Grammar] Friend's house / Friends' house
    By Anne59 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Jan-2016, 15:20
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2015, 11:35
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2012, 09:52
  5. "my friend's house" or "my friends' house"?
    By PeterM in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2005, 22:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •