Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello.

I don't quite understand what the correspondent in the video below says at 1.50. She seems to have a strong British accent, so I can't grasp everything what she said. Could you help me? :cry:

By they way, could you identify her origin judging by her accent? Just out of curisouty.

Point 1, he told, cheering supporters in Phoenix in Arizona is ? plan to build a wall along with the US border with Mexico. This speech was in a sharp contrast with the diplomatic term he adopted when he met the Mexican president in Mexico just hours earlier. Our Washington correspondent Laura Backer reports. The rumors were ??? (wrong?) there is to be ??? (pivet?), new (nor?) ??? of his stance. Donald Trump is holding his course on immigration starting with the policy that has become so popular with his voting ??? (base?).

Are you ready? (Yeah) Are you ready? (yeah). We will build a great wall along the southern border and Mexico will pay for the wall. Hundred percent. ??? (Asked?) for the millions in the country illegally, Mr. Trump said it is time for them to live only then can they apply to come back. Illegal immigrants who’ve committed crimes will be hunted down. I’m going to create a new special deportation taskforce focused on identifying and quickly removing the most dangerous criminal illegal immigrants in America who have evaded justice just like Hillary Clinton has evaded justice, OK? If Donald Trump becomes president, there will be no amnesty, no one will be immune from enforcement he says and those seeking entry will only be allowed in if they have the correct credentials.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
She seems to have a strong British accent, so I can't grasp everything [STRIKE]what[/STRIKE] she said.

That should be, 'everything she said' or, 'everything that she said' or just, 'what she said'.

Point 1, he told cheering supporters in Phoenix Arizona; his plan to build a wall along the US border with Mexico. This speech was in sharp contrast of the diplomatic tone he adopted when he met the Mexican president in Mexico just hours earlier. Our Washington correspondent Laura Bicker reports. The rumours were wrong. There is to be no pivot, no softening of his stance. Donald Trump is holding his course on immigration starting with the policy that has become so popular with his voting base.

"…Mr. Trump said it's time for them to leave, only then…"

She's Scottish, that's obvious enough. I don't watch the Beeb anymore so I'm not familiar with her, but she could be Glaswegian. I corrected 'rumors' because she's British as you know.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As for the millions in the country illegally...

She's definitely Scottish but I don't think she sounds Glaswegian.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much! At this point, I'd better not go to Glasgow any time soon because I find it difficult to understand her. :-D I should hone my listening skills.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much! At this point, I'd better not go to Glasgow any time soon because I find it difficult to understand her. :-D I should hone my listening skills.

I need subtitles to watch a movie with heavy Scots accents.

Status
Not open for further replies.