• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

• Post Thanks / Like

swept up in this conventional wisdom

Hello.

The common wisdom is that globalization is the wave of the future, and in many respects this is undeniable. However, swept up in this conventional wisdom is the notion that languages and cultures will simply cease to exist, and people will instead choose "global" cultures and languages that will transcend bundaries.

Could you please tell me what the bold part means? I do not quite understand it.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: wept up in this conventional wisdom

You could read swept up here to mean something like unjustifiably included. the notion here means the belief

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: swept up in this conventional wisdom

"swept up" - Think of a flash flood, and how it gathers and picks up things in its way and carried them along. This is the imagery I get for this sentence, so I'd say "swept up" means "incidentally included", or "included without deliberate intent or reason".

"conventional wisdom" - What is popularly considered true. It need not necessarily be the majority view; popularity is sufficient. Also very important here is that it can also mean things believed to be true without any knowledge as to why we believe in them. People often can't tell you why they believe a thing, but they accept it as true non-the-less.

Were I to guess, I would speculate this is where jutfrank got the impression of "unjustifiably included". There is a sense to this that many things following this "wisdom" should never have done so; there is no solid thinking behind the fears expressed, but they exist even so.

"the notion" - "Notion" means "belief" or "idea", or maybe better in this context to say "opinion". Most important to realize is the intent that "the notion" is not a "fact". There is a certain negative, if not outright derogatory, tone to this message; I clearly get the feeling the writer is not impressed with what he observes about this matter. I infer a moderately negative intent in his choice of "the notion" to label the attitudes he is talking about.

So:

"Blindly following this popular opinion is the unjustified belief...". That's a harsher way of saying it, mind you. Rather provocative choices of language, though I do believe this is the author's message. What I think he has done is select what we call euphemisms to soften his message; make it more palatable, more acceptable to his audience.