Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences sounds natural. Would you please correct my grammar and punctuation?

1. Anna has chosen to study philosophy as a revenge on her parents, who were obsessed with money and expensive gadgets.
2. As a revenge on his landlord, Peter has painted all walls of the flat in black, before moving away.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have moved your thread. Please post threads like this here rather than in Ask a Teacher.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Rover,
I have only asked a question about two sentences and not posted a text consisting of a few sentences. I do not understand why do you often move my threads to "editing" when my question has noting to do with "editing." It is about the use of "as a revenge on." If I ask a question, I usually get an answer within an hour or two, and now only because you have moved my thread nobody has answered to it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I am wondering if my sentences sound natural. Would you please correct my grammar and punctuation?

1. Anna has chosen to study philosophy as a revenge on her parents, who were obsessed with money and expensive gadgets.
2. As a revenge on his landlord, Peter [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] painted all the walls of the flat in black, before moving away.
In the first sentence, I'd be more inclined to say "as revenge against."
Consider also saying,

Anna has chosen to study philosophy to spite her parents, who were obsessed with money and expensive gadgets.
and
To spite his landlord, Peter painted all the walls of the flat (in) black, before moving out.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How about:

Anna has chosen to study philosophy to reciprocate her parents' being obsessed with money and expensive gadgets.

To get even with his landlord, Peter painted all the walls of the flat black, before moving out.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tedmc, in my opinion, "To get even with his landlord" works, but the other one does not.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Tedmc, in my opinion, "To get even with his landlord" works, but the other one does not.

OK, "to reciprocate" is used on actions that are positive, right?

How about this:

Anna has chosen to study philosophy to get back at ​her parents for being obsessed with money and expensive gadgets.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's better!

Status