"It can comfortably be eaten" or "It can be eaten comfortably". Which sounds natural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"It can comfortably be eaten" or "It can be eaten comfortably". Which sounds natural?

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: "It can comfortably be eaten" or "It can be eaten comfortably". Which sounds natu

Soft food by an elderly man.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: "It can comfortably be eaten" or "It can be eaten comfortably". Which sounds natu

Elderly men don't necessarily need soft food. Is there an issue with his teeth?

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Yes. He bites hard food with difficulty.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China

What came to my mind was that something is perhaps hot, and it needs to cool before you can eat it without burning your mouth. I would say:

"It can be comfortably eaten [after cooling for 30 minutes]".

Both of your sentences are usable, and I'd understand you, but the most 'natural' way is my way, because though we can place an adverb after the verb it modifies, in this case, you want to be clear it is the action of eating that is clearly referred to by 'comfortably'. Being comfortable lying on the couch while you eat is a possible interpretation of, "It can be eaten comfortably".

If that is in fact your meaning, then I'd clarify the sentence by actually saying something about the couch and you being comfortable on it.

P.S. I just saw your post...
Soft food by an elderly man.
"It can be comfortably eaten" written by itself would be the better form, however, "It can be eaten comfortably by an elderly man" would be okay because now you have provided enough context to disambiguate your intent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Thank you Chinadan for explaining different scenarios.

And, "It can comfortably be eaten" can be used without any qualms, right? Because using this way stresses the adverb 'comfortably' more.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China

My approach to English is a little different to some. To me, there is a subtle difference between the various ways we have formed this sentence throughout this discussion. If I was writing something highly informative, I would take the time to consider such matters, and chose my words with care for such fine points, or even completely rephrase something until I was satisfied that the meaning was given with clarity and eloquence.

Note: I do not usually go to such lengths on this forum. :oops:

Yes, your example is fine, and it is very similar indeed to the other examples. But it is not identical.

However, you need to ask if that matters? Most of the time, the answer will be "no", so just use whichever of these forms you prefer.

Only remember this: When you write something, you know what you mean, so if your sentence contains ambiguity you might not notice it. The meaning will be perfectly clear to you. If you have time, put your writing aside for several days or a week, then come back and see if the meaning is instantly clear to you. If you find you have to think back on what your point was to make sense of what you wrote, then you have not written your story clearly enough

When you write - and later proofread - try to be mindful of this fact.

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"Most of the time, the answer will be"no", so just use whichever of these forms you prefer."

Most times is more suitable in the above sentence you used, right Chinadan? Comments, please.

And thank you for your valuable piece of input to form eloquent sentences.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

ChinaDan's answer is just fine.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China

"Most of the time, the answer will be"no", so just use whichever of these forms you prefer."

Most times is more suitable in the above sentence you used, right Chinadan? Comments, please.

And thank you for your valuable piece of input to form eloquent sentences.

The question you are asking goes to the purpose of the piece. If you are providing important, even vital information, you need to be very careful to avoid ambiguity. Then you would consider tings as I described in my first reply. Possibly even rewrite it in a completely different way to avoid possible confusion. I've done this many, many times writing contracts for example. If people can find an alternative interpretation of a clause that works to their advantage, they'll argue it till they're blue in the face.

If you are telling a friend about something in a casual conversation, it isn't going to matter.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I think MeyaN is asking about the use of the phrase "Most of the time," which is correct and much better than "Most times" in this context.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

The placement of adverbs also drives me crazy.

I have found some information that may interest the OP and my fellow learners.

"If the adverb modifies the participle alone it comes immediately before the participle."

My source gives these two examples:

1. "It has been confidently asserted."

2. "It will have been become firmly established."

3. Another source gives this: "For years the company has been competently managed."

This "rule" would SEEM to call for "It can be comfortably eaten" (if you are referring to, for example, the temperature of the food -- as ChinaDan told us).

My main source: Wilson Follett, Modern American Usage (1980).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.