Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I used to be punctual. But the other day, I have been transferred to a far governorate. I will not show up on time the next meeting. I will be two hours late.

I am not sure whether punctual correctly used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to be punctual ​but the other day, I [STRIKE]have been[/STRIKE] was transferred to a far governorate (this is not an English word). I will not show up on time for the next meeting. I will be two hours late.

I am not sure whether punctual was correctly used.

You've used "punctual" correctly but your piece doesn't make sense. What difference does it make to your punctuality that you've been transferred somewhere else. If you're going to be two hours late for every meeting, you're not going to keep your job for long. Also, it's "The other day, I was transferred to ...". Remember that if you're transferred somewhere, it means that that is now your permanent place of work.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I used to be punctual, but I'm not now. [STRIKE]the other day, I have been[/STRIKE] I was recently transferred to a far-off governorate, so I will not show up on time at the next meeting. I will be two hours late.

I am not sure whether "punctual" was correctly used above.

See corrections.

[cross-posted with emsr2d2]

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It is just the next meeting. I will not meet my teacher noontime (any more/anymore). I was not only transferred, I was shifted.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is just the next meeting. I will not meet my teacher ​at noon[STRIKE]time[/STRIKE] (any more/anymore). I was not [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] transferred, I was shifted.

I'm a little confused now. What does your teacher have to do with it? I assumed that the "governorate" (bear in mind that this is not an English word) was the location of the meeting. I now think the meeting is with your teacher but on the day of that meeting you are going to be working a long way away so the meeting with your teacher is not possible. Is that the situation?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The situation is: (1) I was transfered. (2) I was shifted (I used to work in the morning. I do not now. I work at noon). I want to tell him that there is a problem with managing my time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So at the time of the meeting you are supposed to be somewhere else? You can explain that there is a scheduling conflict. You have told your supervisor, haven't you?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I have not told him yet. But I will write him that there is a scheduling conflict. Do not expect me to show up on time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that "Do not expect me to show up on time" is a very blunt, dismissive and downright rude thing to say. I suggest you find a more diplomatic way of telling him.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
How about:

Please do not expect me to turn up on time./I might not show up on time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I might not be able to make it to the meeting on time as I am supposed to be somewhere else at the time the meeting is scheduled to start.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If, as you said in post #1, you are likely to be two hours late for the meeting, it seems to me that it would be better to cancel it completely! Failing that, why don't you ask your teacher if you can meet at 2pm instead of noon?

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I used to meet him at 6 PM. My shift these days starts from 12:30 PM until 6 PM.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to meet him at 6 PM. My shift these days [strike]starts[/strike] is from 12:30 PM until 6 PM.

I will not meet my teacher noontime (any more/anymore).

Can you see how these two posts contradict each other. I thought you said you were due to meet your teacher at noon! What is going on?

If there is only one day on which you have to work at this faraway office, just cancel the meeting with your teacher! Then just change the time of your regular meeting from 6pm to either later in the evening, or in the morning before you have to leave home for your shift that starts at 12.30.

You're making a very simple thing very complicated.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I hope that this is the last meeting. We were supposed to print it (my project) out last Saturday. But my teacher cancelled the meeting. All the sudden, I was told that I had to go to another region if I want(ed?) to continue working in the same field. And then, I was shifted. I want to say that it is impossible to meet him around 6 PM. My teacher told me that I must not phone him after 6. I need at least two hours to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.