Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Why is my answer incorrect?

Mr Smith asked him, "Why HAD you BEEN RUNNING away? "

Answer is "Why WERE you RUNNING away? "

I agree that the answer sounds much better. I would like to understand why my using of 'had. ...been running' is incorrect in this question.

Thank you! :-D

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Reported speech: Mr Smith asked him why he had been running away.
Direct speech: Mr Smith asked him, 'Why were you running away?'

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
May I know is direct and indirect speech the only way to explain this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
May I know [strike]is[/strike] if direct and indirect speech is the only way to explain this?

Note my correction to your construction above.

It's certainly the most obvious explanation. I have struggled to come up with a natural dialogue in which the original with "had been" would appear. I could probably invent a convoluted one but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You haven't given the question. That makes our guess as to why your answer is wrong rather difficult.
There's nothing wrong with your sentence in the right context. But there's also nothing in your (lack of) context that should make you choose the past perfect which, as you know, requires certain conditions.

Oceanlike

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
... I have struggled to come up with a natural dialogue in which the original with "had been" would appear. I could probably invent a convoluted one but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Let me try...

Suspect: "No, I had been at the bar all night. I wasn't anywhere near the park. I was sitting having a drink when you came in and arrested me"!

Cop: "Oh come on Jimmy, when I walked in there, you were still sweating heavily. Obviously, you had been running just before I got there. Where were you running from, eh Jimmy"?

Suspect: "Look, officer, do ya think if I had been running away from the scene of a crime that I would have decided to stop here and have a drink"?

What do you think?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But unlike Mr Smith in the OP, the cop didn't ask 'Why had you been running away?'

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it possible to ask 'Why had you been running away when you fell?'

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
But unlike Mr Smith in the OP, the cop didn't ask 'Why had you been running away?'

I was obviously responding to emsr's comment, so I fail to see your point in attempting to create an artificial dependency on the OP.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suspect: "No, I had been at the bar all night. I wasn't anywhere near the park. I was sitting having a drink when you came in and arrested me!"

Cop: "Oh come on Jimmy, when I walked in there, you were still sweating heavily. Obviously, you had been running just before I got there. Where were you running from, eh Jimmy?"

Suspect: "Look, officer, do ya think if I had been running away from the scene of a crime that I would have decided to stop here and have a drink?"

I've corrected the punctuation for the benefit of learners. When a punctuation mark is part of a quotation, it appears before the closing quotation mark. This is true in British (also known as "logical") style as well as in American style.

Status
Not open for further replies.