Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

I'd like to ask native speakers of English if they use the word "delicious" to refer to good taste of food.

In my impression, native English speakers tend to say, "This tastes good" rather than "This tastes delicious" or "This is delicious". So I asked an American guy who was born and raised in LA if he says "delicious". His reply was more extreme than I had expected. He said he had almost never used the word "delicious" before becoming an English teacher. (Currently he is in his early forties.) To him, "This tastes delicious" and "It is delicious" sound like very textbook style expressions.

Do you agree with him? Is "delicious" a word that is hardly ever used by native speakers in real communication?

Thank you!
OP

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I use it too.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's common enough. "Delicious" is a step up from just "tastes good."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like to ask native speakers of English if they use the word "delicious" to refer to good taste of food.

Only if the food is delicious. Not really sure what else you could use it to describe if you didn't use it for food.

Do you agree with him? Is "delicious" a word that is hardly ever used by native speakers in real communication?

No. Apparently he needs to find a better cook.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China

:lol: Yes, I do...

... but I once had a class of students who were going to write something about food, and I forbade them the use of this word. The reason was that it seemed to be the only word they used for food that they considered tasted okay or better.

My purpose was to push them to dig around and put more of their vocabulary to use; there's nothing wrong with the word itself.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

No, but, in answer to your second question, I don't use it all the time. I would reserve it for something special, which could either be great food or a desire to be particularly polite.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Delicious​ is commonly used about food in American English, but only for food that tastes exceptionally good.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only if the food is delicious. Not really sure what else you could use it to describe if you didn't use it for food.

Its French cognate can be used for food, but it can also translate as "delightful". This can lead to some delightful translation faux pas​ when applied, for example, to a lovely young woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.