What type of accent do I have? (constructive feedback wanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlazor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Could you guys provide some constructive feedback? I'm trying to become a good teacher, and these days I have been working on my intonation and sounds (key is rather difficult for me). Also, too, can you guess what country I'm from judging by the accent?
Here's the video I made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgvOfV9kGe4

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would say that you're doing well. However, some of your vowel sounds could do with tightening up- clobber has a stronger /ɒ/ sound than you use. But I must say that you have a number of the sounds of British English off pat. :up:

mlazor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Oh, thank you for the feedback. I've been working very hard over the past year. I'll work on tightening up the /ɒ/ vowel sound.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BTW, I saw your first language by looking at your profile. I wouldn't have guessed right as you don't have many of the standard features that mark many speakers of that language. I would point out that clobber for clothes isn't widely used nowadays. It was pretty standard when I was younger, but I don't hear it much now. The verb is still in use.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi mlazor
I just watched your 'clobber' video and my impression was that your accent comes across as a bit forced and unnatural-sounding. You've clearly worked hard on your pronunciation, and have mastered many of the tricky sounds, so well done. Now try relaxing a bit and being a little less 'careful' with the sounds.

You sound much, much better in my opinion in your video on 'nab'.

(By the way, I absolutely would not teach the word clobber, especially not to mean clothes.)

mlazor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you!
Yes, I did notice that myself, even. I will follow your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.