Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I would like you to imagine that there are few participants who are going to take part in a debate. There is a host who is anchoring or conducting this debate and he has to divide participants equally in two teams "Team A and B" but there is a person who is extra and cannot be assigned to either team."

Would it be correct for that extra person to say "I am not a part of the either team" or "I am in neither team" or "I am with neither team?" If yes, then would it be correct say it if there were more than two teams?"

Please check.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
For the first question, I prefer your original (without the article): "I am not part of either team".

For more than two teams: "I am not part of any team".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hosting a debate is usually called "moderating a debate" (or used to be).
You can have different numbers in a side. You can also more an unlimited number of people who are debating a proposition. For example, if Parliament debates a topic, no one has to argue strongly for a Yes or No position.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The person who is dividing the people into team A and B or assigning the people to these teams. Can that person say "I want you to be the part of team A" or "you are in team A or team B? Or "please don't leave this session in between or in middle. Please stay untill this session ends." (be it online or in person)

Can participants say "I have been assigned to team A?"

Is hosting a session also called moderating the session?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can that person say "I want you to be the part of team A" or "you are in team A or team B?

The person could say I want you to be in Team A or You are in Team A.

Or "please don't leave this session in between or in middle. Please stay untill this session ends." (be it online or in person)

This doesn't work. The first part is a mess. Try something like Please stay till the the end.

Can participants say "I have been assigned to team A?"

Yes

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The person could say I want you to be in Team A or You are in Team A.

This doesn't work. The first part is a mess. Try something like Please stay till the the end.

Yes

Okay "please stay till the end" but what if someone wants to say that he will be leaving the session in middle (I know it's a mess but I don't have any idea that what is the way to write this sentence properly) then, what is the way to say it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Okay, "Please stay till the end" but what if someone wants to say that he will be leaving the session in middle (I know it's a mess but I don't have any idea [STRIKE]that what is the way[/STRIKE] how to write this sentence properly). [STRIKE]then,[/STRIKE] What is the right way to say it?

The person who wants to leave would say "I'm sorry but I might have to leave before the end".
The response might be "That's fine but only if it's urgent" or "I'm sorry but that's not possible. I want you to stay to the end."

Status
Not open for further replies.