Context: somebody is drinking water. I want to tell him to lift the bottle and drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Context: somebody is drinking water. I want to tell him to lift the bottle and drink i.e., without touching his mouth to the bottle's mouth. How do I say this?

Is there a particular word for it?

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
English doesn't have a word for that gesture. You'd have to explain it. You could say ​Please pour the water into your mouth without touching the bottle with your lips.

marcogalletti

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Not a teacher

It's really common here in italy to use such a sentence, it happens when someone is using your bottle and you dont want to get their germs, so you just want to tell the person to assume this classical gesture. I would just say "Don't touch it with your mouth" there's no a short term for it, i don't think there is a shorter way to say it in english.

(http://images.profileengine.com/large/428670315/quelli.che.amano.bere.a.canna he is wrong because he is supposed to don't let the water going out from his mouth)

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I often did this when I was younger and still living at home. Since I was forbidden to drink from the juice/milk container directly, I would circumvent my mother's warning about putting my lips on any communal container by pouring it into my mouth without letting my lips touch it.

That way, when my mom would holler from another room that (I swear she could hear the refrigerator opening from across the house) I had better not be drinking out of the milk jug, I could yell back that I wasn't, which was technically true. Of course her intent was for me to pour it into a glass and drink from that, but I felt it was a fair compromise. She didn't quite view it that way. :lol:

Of course once I started living by myself I was then free to drink directly from the container since I was the only one using it.

I still make a point of drinking directly from the container in front of my coworkers for anything I keep in the office fridge. Single serving bottles and cans tend to disappear, but nobody touches my half-drunk gallon of juice/tea when they've seen me drinking directly from it. It also eliminates requests to share.

It does seem like one of those things we need a word for. I'll sometimes still do it when I need to drink from something like a water bottle but don't want my lips to touch it.

MeyaN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As Marcogalletti said, it's social manners in some cultures to not to touch others bottle's mouth with our mouth while drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.