Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Need some series and movies in english for learn english from them
i think my english's level is something like medium.
so i wish for nice series and movies at my level. i prefer a comedy. everything can be good.
Thnaks a lot!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I need some series and movies in English [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to help me improve my [STRIKE]learn[/STRIKE] English language skills. [STRIKE]from them[/STRIKE]
I think my [STRIKE]english's[/STRIKE] level is something like per-intermediate, [STRIKE]medium.[/STRIKE]
so [STRIKE]i wish[/STRIKE] I'm looking for nice and easy series and movies at my level. I prefer comedy but would watch other stuff too. [STRIKE]beverything can be good.
[/STRIKE]Thanks a lot!

Hello hedBisker, and welcome. :)
Are you interested in British or American series and films?

hedBisker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Thanks for fix my bad english
About your answer I realy dont care. :-D
It can be American, British, Australian, etc ..
The importent thing that it will be in medium level English.
For example the series "Big Bang Theory" it too hard.
I can't understand it so well without subtitle for my language...
So i prefer something little bit lighter then that.
Mybe it can be at level as a Game Of Thrones that was a little hard but it was understandable even without subtitle for my language.
so it can be at this level.
Thanks a lot!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for fixing my bad English.
[STRIKE]About[/STRIKE] In answer to your [STRIKE]answer[/STRIKE] question, I really don't care. :-D It can be American, British, Australian, etc.
The important thing is that it [STRIKE]will be[/STRIKE] is in medium-level English. For example, the series "The Big Bang Theory" [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] is too hard for me. I can't understand it [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] well without subtitles [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] in my language,
so I would prefer something a little bit [STRIKE]lighter[/STRIKE] easier [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] than that.
Maybe it [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could be at the same level as [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] "Game Of Thrones". That was a little hard but it was understandable even without subtitles. [STRIKE]for my language.[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]so it can be at this level.[/STRIKE]
Thanks a lot!

I'm surprised you could understand "Game of Thrones" without subtitles but well done!

Please note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Always capitalise proper nouns. (English, America, Shakespeare, Microsoft etc.)
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Check your spelling carefully. If your browser has a spellchecker set to English, it will underline spelling errors in red. Take care with the difference between "then" and "than".

You could try some soap operas too - they usually use fairly simple language. Try "Neighbours" (Australian). Some British soaps have quite strong regional accents - "EastEnders" (south/east London), "Coronation Street" (Manchester) so might be a little difficult. If you can track down old series, you could try "Dallas" (American).
Comedy can be quite hard to follow (as you found with "The Big Bang Theory") because lines are spoken quickly and the rhythm is used for comic effect. There are also a lot of puns which can be hard for non-natives to understand.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could try some soap operas too - they usually use fairly simple language. Try "Neighbours" (Australian). Some British soaps have quite strong regional accents - "EastEnders" (south/east London), "Coronation Street" (Manchester) so might be a little difficult. If you can track down old series, you could try "Dallas" (American).
Comedy can be quite hard to follow (as you found with "The Big Bang Theory") because lines are spoken quickly and the rhythm is used for comic effect. There are also a lot of puns which can be hard for non-natives to understand.

Comedy also includes lots of topical references which can be incomprehensible to foreigners.

Regarding regional accents: EastEnders is in a foreign language to this American's ears. It often resembles English, but not closely enough for me to glean much meaning from it.

hedBisker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I'm surprised you could understand "Game of Thrones" without subtitles but well done!

Please note my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Always capitalise proper nouns. (English, America, Shakespeare, Microsoft etc.)
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Check your spelling carefully. If your browser has a spellchecker set to English, it will underline spelling errors in red. Take care with the difference between "then" and "than".

Thanks a lot!!!.
Dallas looks a good one.

ErickHendrix

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Great Britain
"How I Met Your Mother", "Friends", "Brooklyn Nine-Nine", "Scrubs" are really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.