Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello everyone, I need your help to check this review I was gonna post in a famous sites of food reviews. Some people I know, that speak american english, accused me that my grammar in the following sentences is really awful and it's almost impossible to read; I was really sure it was but now I want your help. Let me first introduce to the context to better understand what I meant. I was in Taiwan during August, and i was in this sushi bar to try some new dishes, obviously I never tried the true asian cuisine in Italy, so after I ate my food I was really surprised.
I tried to write an undestandable review in a formal way, I know my english's limits and I know my grammar is still so bad, so can you please try to tell me if there's something wrong in the form or grammar?

here we go:
I've been here with my Taiwanese girlfriend and she guarenteed me I still hadn't tried something like this in Europe; once I ate my sushi/sashimi I guessed why she told me so. If you are in Taipei it would be the right choice if you want to try really good dishes.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The first thing you need to do is click on "Edit Post", capitalise the word "I" every time you have used it, capitalise "Europe" and "August" (and any other proper nouns) then click "Save".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You also need to write shorter sentences, not ones that go on and on and on.

marcogalletti

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for these answers. I need to tell you honestly, this is the first time I've heard about capitalizing the "I" in english, so really thank you because I just googled it and now I can add something on my cultural background (I know obviously about Europe and August but I didn't pay attention to it). What about the grammar structure?
For Dave, I think they may be long but I used a lot of comas and periods which make them more readable but I guess that when I try to type in english I'm more focused on contents than periods.

Last edited:

marcogalletti

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I know I shouldn't but is there someone who wants to help me? I just want to know the grammar mistakes on my review.
Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello everyone, I need your help to check this review I was [STRIKE]gonna[/STRIKE] going to post [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on a famous food-review site. [STRIKE]of food reviews.[/STRIKE] Some people I know that speak American English [STRIKE]accused me[/STRIKE] have stated that my grammar in the following sentences is really awful, and it's almost impossible to read; I wasn't really sure it was, [STRIKE]but now[/STRIKE] so that's why I [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] need your help. Let me first introduce [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the context for you to better understand what I meant. I was in Taiwan during August, and I was in this sushi bar to try some new dishes. Obviously, I had never tried [STRIKE]the true[/STRIKE] genuine Asian cuisine in Italy, so after I ate [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] that food, I was really surprised.
I tried to write an understandable review in a formal way. I know my [STRIKE]english's[/STRIKE] limits when it comes to English, and I know my grammar is not great, [STRIKE]still so bad,[/STRIKE] so can you please try to tell me if there's something wrong [STRIKE]in the form or[/STRIKE] with my grammar.

Here we go:
I [STRIKE]'ve been here[/STRIKE] had dinner with my Taiwanese girlfriend in Taipei Fine Sushi last week, and before going there, she guaranteed me that I [STRIKE]still hadn't tried something[/STRIKE] wouldn't have had anything like this in Europe. Once I [STRIKE]ate my[/STRIKE] tasted their sushi/sashimi, I [STRIKE]guessed[/STRIKE] could appreciate why she told me so. If you are in Taipei, you should definitely check out this fantastic restaurant [STRIKE]it would be the right choice[/STRIKE] if you want to try [STRIKE]really[/STRIKE] fine authentic Asian cuisine. [STRIKE]good dishes.[/STRIKE]

marcogalletti

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you for your answer and for spending your time to help me, I'm grateful for it. As you can see there's still a lot of work to do. Probably because when a foreign person learns a new language he tries to keep his native language structure, and this is the awkward result. Also, is it really a big mistake to keep the "had not tried something like this"? I tried to referred it to a past action that already ended when I wrote the review. I thought it may not sound "smooth" to read but the grammar still worked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's nothing wrong with saying "I had not tried something like this" but you prefaced it with "still", which was wrong.

My girlfriend was sure I hadn't tried anything like this before.
My girlfriend was sure I had never tried something like this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.