• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Give it a name

Can anybody tell me what the bold text means? From the context, I would say he asked them to tell him something about the ship, its history, etc; to tell him what they thought and knew about the vessel.

I joined the Mortzestus in 'Frisco. I heard before I signed on, that there were some funny yarns floating round about her; but I was pretty nearly on the beach, and too jolly anxious to get away, to worry about trifles. Besides, by all accounts, she was right enough so far as grub and treatment went. When I asked fellows to give it a name, they generally could not. All they could tell me, was that she was unlucky, and made thundering long passages, and had no more than a fair share of dirty weather. Also, that she had twice had the sticks blown out of her, and her cargo shifted. Besides all these, a heap of other things that might happen to any packet, and would not be comfortable to run into. Still, they were the ordinary things, and I was willing enough to risk them, to get home. All the same, if I had been given the chance, I should have shipped in some other vessel as a matter of preference.

The Ghosts Pirates, William Hope Hodgson, 1909

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Johnyxxx; 24-Sep-2016 at 20:30.
    Not a Teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Give it a name

The narrator asked his new crewmates to say exactly what was wrong with the ship; that is, to name (or "say out loud") the thing responsible for its bad luck.
    I am not a teacher.