Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good morning everyone.
I was performing a syntactic analysis of the following sentence:

They say that he cheats

That is what I've got: [they] - subject; [say] - predicate; [that he cheats] - direct object (content clause)
BUT! When I transform it into a passive, its syntactic structure changes beyond recognition:

He is said to cheat

[He] - subject; [is said] must be the predicate; [to cheat] appears to be something repesented by the infinitive.

Could you, please, explain what this infintive might be and why?

Thank you in advance!

Seva

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
He is said [to cheat].

The bracketed infinitival clause is complement of the matrix verb "said". Such complements are sometimes called "catenative complements": "catenative" being derived from the Latin word for chain; in grammar, a chain of verbs.

In your example, the catenative complement is obligatory since it is required to complete the verb phrase.

Vsevolod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you so very much, PaulMatthews; you have been of great help!:up::up::up:
The only thing that is left to understand is why such infinitive-clauses are referred to as "clauses". I thought that for a clause to be a clause it must comprise both the subject and the predicate. Could you, please, explain where I am wrong?:)

Thank you again.

Seva

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Most non-finite clauses have no overt subject, but in a sense we understand them as having subjects. In you example, the subject is retrievable from the matrix clause and can only be "he": we understand that 'he cheats'. But "he" is not actually present in the subordinate clause, so we refer to it as the "understood subject".

Status
Not open for further replies.