Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I want to know why sometimes Modal Verbs are followed by this structure (be+ ing verb)?

Take the example below:

Those who would be telling us such things, will either be our foes or their servants.

What's the difference between "would be telling us" and "would tell us" ?

Regards,

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence looks like it was written by a non-native English speaker. It's not natural international English.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
According to grammar rules, modal verbs such as would must be followed by an infinitive form. The structure [be + -ing] is one of these infinitive forms. I call this form the continuous infinitive form. Try looking it up in a good grammar reference book, or website.

Each different infinitive form has a different use. We choose which one to use based on the meaning we want to give.

(Unlike GoesStation, I do think that the example you provide is natural and was written by a native speaker. However, it's not a great example to show the use of the continuous infinitive. Maybe you could find more examples and try to understand the meaning from the context in which you find them.)

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
It's just a form that places emphasis on the action, as in suggesting a habitual behavior.

"Would tell us..." lacks the sense of an ongoing behavior. It could be ongoing, but choosing this phrase is choosing not to emphasise that fact.

"Would be telling..." carries that sense of regular, ongoing behavior. You can recognize your enemies because these are the sorts of things they always say.

The meanings are more or less the same. The choice, if you pay attention to such details, informs you about the thoughts/opinions of the speaker/writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.