Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In an interesting twist of events today, I discovered the following when doing some research on the cost of grave headstones. Does anybody else find this an unnatural usage of 'shall'?

An upright headstone, on the other hand, shall cost up to $10,000. Nonetheless, you can get simple upright tombstones in the range of $1.000 to $3,000. (emphasis mine)

(source here, third paragraph).

Then again about the middle of the page you find:

On an average, a single granite gravestone shall cost about $450. Besides, you can find companion headstones made from granite at an average price of $800. (emphasis mine)

I personally find it a bit odd. It almost reads like a cemetery regulation, rather than just an informative sentence. I'd probably have used 'will cost', 'can cost', or just 'costs'.

I also find 'on an average' a bit odd, rather than 'on average', but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as 'shall cost'.

Grammar aside, I was researching prices because when I left for work this morning, I found a discarded grave marker in the alley beside the trash dumpster! :shock:

It turns out there was a family feud over the original stone placed on the woman's grave, and the family had paid to have the original one placed by the husband removed and replaced by one of their own choice. However, this happened about six years ago, so I'm still not sure why the first stone suddenly appeared beside the dumpster in my alley yesterday.

I initially assumed it was vandalism, so I picked it up and put in my truck bed. That in itself was a poor decision, because it must weigh close to 200 lbs and I'm feeling it as the day goes on. I called the cemetery manager, and he told me the story. He also said I could keep it if I wanted it, so I've now got a nice free granite headstone, only slightly used.

Which apparently is worth about $800-$1,500 dollars, or perhaps worthless, depending upon your perspective.

I was initially thinking it would make a great Halloween decoration, but then decided that was a bit disrespectful, and it's a small-ish community. So, instead I've got a nice piece of granite for my next stone carving project.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's 'at an average price of $800', which is OK.

Yes, but you're quoting the end of the sentence, which I agree is fine.

Unless I'm missing your point, the example of 'On an average' at the begging of that sentence is a little unnatural.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second sentence betrays the page's non-native-Anglophone roots. It begins with besides when it means "moreover". It's not surprising to see some stray shalls in that context.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I use shall, but I wouldn't use it there.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Maybe it's a sales pitch for prospective residents. That place is so good, people are dying to get in there. :lol:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's called "International...." Perhaps the writer isn't native English.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Maybe it's a sales pitch for prospective residents. That place is so good, people are dying to get in there. :lol:
I predict a grave response to this one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks to these puns, I'm havin' a coffin' fit!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's quite a technological undertaking for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.