Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tom: "Tim you remind of someone."

Tim: "who?"

Tom: "I am not sure of who but you remind me of someone." (Do we need to use "whom" here?)

Please check.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
"I am not sure of who but you remind me of someone." (Do we need to use "whom" here?)

The way you have written it, yes, "whom".

"I am not sure of whom, but you remind me of someone".

I would drop that part however, and rearrange things a little bit for a more natural phrase.

"I'm not sure, but you do remind me of someone". Slight vocal emphasis on "do" as you speak it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The way you have written it, yes, "whom".

"I am not sure of whom, but you remind me of someone".

I would drop that part however, and rearrange things a little bit for a more natural phrase.

"I'm not sure, but you do remind me of someone". Slight vocal emphasis on "do" as you speak it.

"I am not sure, who do you remind me of." Is it correct?

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
It is grammatically correct, but it is not quite the same because now you are asking the person you are talking to to answer this question of who they remind you of. Before you were merely speculating about who it might be.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I am not sure who do you remind me of?" It means now I am asking that person "who does he remind me of?" Am I correct?

This means "whom" can only be used here, right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I am not sure who [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] you remind me of." [no question mark as this is not a question.] It means now I am asking that person "who does he remind me of?" Am I correct?

This means "whom" can only be used here, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by the last question. Your English teachers will probably tell you that whom is required in both sentences. Although some native Anglophones would use whom, most would say "who" in both cases. Nevertheless, you should write whom​ if you're answering a question on an exam.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm not sure what you mean by the last question. Your English teachers will probably tell you that whom is required in both sentences. Although some native Anglophones would use whom, most would say "who" in both cases. Nevertheless, you should write whom​ if you're answering a question on an exam.

I meant that I am asking that person that "who does he remind me of?" Because I am confused so I am asking him like we do sometimes we ask others, why is it happening? We don't ask seriously, we don't expect them to answer the question, same as that "can you tell me who do remind me of? Of Tom no I think of Tim."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant that I am asking that person [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "Who does he remind me of?"
No, you're not asking him that. You're asking him "Who do you remind me of?" It's a question that person is unlikely to be able to answer. Only you know who he reminds you of.

[STRIKE]Because[/STRIKE] I am confused so I am asking him like we [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] sometimes [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] ask others "Why is it happening?" We don't ask seriously, we don't expect them to answer the question. It's the same as [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "Can you tell me who [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] you remind me of? Of Tom no I think of Tim." (The underlined part makes no sense. I don't know what you're trying to say.)

Perhaps you are talking about a rhetorical question.

John: You remind me of someone.
Jane: Do I? Who?
John: I don't know. I just can't work it out who it is.
Jane: I'm intrigued. I'd love to know who it is.
John (closing his eyes and banging his head in a frustrated fashion): Grrrrr. Who do you remind me of? It's driving me mad.
Jane: Oh well. Let me know if you work it out.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Perhaps you are talking about a rhetorical question.

John: You remind me of someone.
Jane: Do I? Who?
John: I don't know. I just can't work it out who it is.
Jane: I'm intrigued. I'd love to know who it is.
John (closing his eyes and banging his head in a frustrated fashion): Grrrrr. Who do you remind me of? It's driving me mad.
Jane: Oh well. Let me know if you work it out.

By "Of Tom or of Tim" I meant that, that person was guessing that "who does he (that other person, who resembles someone) remind him of?" (Sorry to use this sentence again but this is what I meant I think previously I used "Me" instead of "Him" and the sentence got wrong, is it correct now?).

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is what correct now?. 'Who does he remind him of?' is correct only if you are asking A who B reminds C of.

Tom asks Tim: "Who does Tim remind Tom of?"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Richland, please read this extract from the Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tom asks Tim: "Who does Tim remind Tom of?"

This wouldn't happen! If Tom was talking directly to Tim, Tom would refer to Tim as "you", not by name, and he would use "me" to refer to himself; he wouldn't use his own name.

If we were talking to each other in real life, and I said to you "Who does Tufguy remind emsr2d2 of?", wouldn't you wonder why I had used your name instead of saying "Who do you remind me of?" If I were talking to Piscean, I could say "Who does Tufguy remind me of?", though of course Piscean wouldn't be able to answer the question. He might reply with "I don't know, but he reminds me of George Clooney!"

Status
Not open for further replies.