Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, this is my first post.

I'm wondering if the idiomatic phrase "to have a mortgage on something" exists, or am I confusing it with another phrase, or perhaps imagining it?
I can't find it on google?

To have a mortgage on something --- with the meaning to have secured something to the exclusion of others (like a lion share, maybe?).

Thank you in advance ....

:?:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I haven't come across this meaning. The closest thing I can think of is a first/senior mortgage, which takes priority over other claims, but refers to actual mortgages. It does have idiomatic uses, like mortgaging your future, but I have not seen it used with a meaning close to lion's share.

chris34

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I haven't come across this meaning. The closest thing I can think of is a first/senior mortgage, which takes priority over other claims, but refers to actual mortgages. It does have idiomatic uses, like mortgaging your future, but I have not seen it used with a meaning close to lion's share.

OK, thank you, Tdol, for your prompt reply.
I must be imagining it, then?

This definition is interesting ... re: :holding a mortgage".
The person or company that "holds the mortgage" ultimately has all the power when it comes to your property.

So maybe I should have imagined the phrase "to hold the mortgage on something"? .. which would have suggested having the control or power over something.
My mind must be playing tricks on me!

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.