[Grammar] "the biggest tax cuts…that we've ever…" or "the biggest tax cuts…than we've ever…"

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Re: "the biggest tax cuts…that we've ever…" or "the biggest tax cuts…than we've ever…

Thanks, Piscean.
Do you think some native speakers might use 'than' mistakenly?
One of the Japanese leading newspapers quoted Hillary as saying, "…the biggest tax cuts…than we've ever had." I emailed them to point out that it should be 'that', but they emailed me back, saying that their native consultants confirmed that both 'that' and 'than' are accepted. I think they should fire those consultants immediately. What do you think?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "the biggest tax cuts…that we've ever…" or "the biggest tax cuts…than we've ever…

She definitely says that. We Americans don't enunciate the final t very clearly; we replace /t/ with a brief glottal stop. I'm sure it can be challenging for English learners to hear this.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

There's no way she says than. As post #4 points out, the only vaguely possible way she might make this mistake is if she thought she had said bigger instead of the biggest, but this is well-prepared language and the superlative (the biggest) nature of what she is saying is crucial to the point she's making.

Yes, those consultants should be fired immediately! Or at the very least get a severe pay cut.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Thanks, jutfrank. I'd settle for a severe pay cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.