• English
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

I would like to teach english in China

Hello,

my name is Jana, I would like to travel to China for 2 years and Teach-English in China and I found an Agency from Germany:

[URL REMOVED]

Does any one has experience with this Agent or any other Agency?

I am looking forward for some

Regards

Jana
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 29-Sep-2016 at 00:48. Reason: URL removed

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I would like to teach english in China

Quote Originally Posted by sharon88 View Post
    Hello, my name is Jana. I would like to travel to China for 2 years and teach English ​there. in China and I found an agency from in Germany:

[URL REMOVED]

Does any one anyone has have experience with this agent or any other agency?

I am looking forward for to some useful responses.

Regards.

Jana
    Note my corrections above. No matter what agency you might use, you are going to need to improve your own English a lot before you try to teach other people. Your member profile says your native language is English. That's clearly not the case.

The URL to the agency has been removed for potential spam.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

If your search for the name of the agency with the word blacklist, you should find any negative reports about it.

One very important tip when travelling to countries where you're not sure about what to expect is always to have the money to fly home. If you do this, then you can always leave a place if things go wrong, which can happen. If you don't have your fare out, things can get messy.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

My personal feeling is that any agency that says you need neither degree nor teaching qualification to teach in a country, but must be prepared to take a training course when you arrive needs to be looked at very carefully indeed.

If you want to teach English, you should train for an internationally recognised qualification, such as CELTA or the Trinity Cert TESOL before you start looking for jobs a long way from home. You may find out that TEFL is not for you. It's better to find that out before you leave home.

There are plenty of teaching jobs in China - they are not going to disappear in the foreseeable future.

ps. Unless you are told specifically by your future agency/employer that you will be teaching adults, you need to be aware that many schools in China teach mainly children, sometimes as young as three (though it my be claimed that they are six). Teaching young Chinese children is not a job for the faint-hearted.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    My personal feeling is that any agency that says you need neither degree nor teaching qualification to teach in a country, but must be prepared to take a training course when you arrive needs to be looked at very carefully indeed.
    I agree- many in-house courses lock teachers in as no one else recognises the course.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

And it can take an inordinately long time to pay back the cost of the obligatory course. Even when you have paid it off and finally leave the country. you may well find, as Tdol mentioned. that your course and 'certificate' are not recognised anywhere else in the world.

I am not trying to deter anybody from working in China. My time working there was one of the most interesting, fascinating and overall wonderful experiences of my TEFL career. It was also, at times, one of the most head-bangingly frustrating periods of that career.

If you want to experience a completely different way of life and learning, meet very friendly people, and eat wonderful food, then go and work in China. But, in case it doesn't work for you, go from a position of strength -

- Make sure you are properly qualified before you go;
    - Make sure you have a return ticket in your pocket, or more than enough funds to buy your flight home;
    - Make sure you have a signed contract in your pocket before you leave home. And read the contract extremely carefully before you sign it. You may find that if you sign up for a certain period and decide to leave before that period expires, you could be subject to massive financial penalties.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

I strongly urge you to read through this site http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/ carefully before you pay any money to any agency. Note the date of the various posts. I would like to think things are getting better, but you should be aware of what can happen if you are not well prepared as others have suggested.

I think you may be hampered by the fact you do not come from an English-speaking country. Schools tend to prefer teachers from England, Canada, The USA, and Australia. I doubt an agency will mention that.

I'll also mention that reading your contract is good, but not much use in case of conflict. You have no guarantee that the contract you sign in English is worded the same as the one you also sign that's written in Chinese. The contract in Chinese will prevail in case of "misunderstanding".
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 15-Oct-2016 at 01:40.