Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Today I happened to learn a bunch of synonyms and I wonder if they are interchangeable or they subtly have some different when using?
Thank you very much.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Today, I happened to learn a bunch of synonyms, and I wonder if they are interchangeable, or do they have subtle [STRIKE]have some[/STRIKE] differences [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] in usage?
Thank you very much.

They are not interchangeable.

You're a disgrace! :tick:
You're a dishonour. :cross:
You're a discredit. :cross:

I don't think he will dishonour that cheque. :tick:
I don't think he will disgrace that cheque. :cross:
I don't think he will discredit that cheque. :cross:

His theory was discredited by many scientists. :tick:
His theory was disgraced by many scientists. :cross:
His theory was dishonoured by many scientists. :cross:

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
To understand these words, break them down. "Dis-" means to lose, or "loss of". So focus on the main parts...

Grace. Honor. Credit.

Grace has many meanings, but when used as "disgrace", it is referring to a quality of social/societal standing; it means:
3 a : a charming or attractive trait or characteristic (source).

Honor too has many meanings, but when used with "dis-", it is referring to a code of conduct; not necessarily military, though this will often be the context.

Credit, in the same way, is not referring to your FICO score, but rather your credibility; some judgment on how believable you are.

Now, you can see these things have facets related to, or in common with each with each other, yet they are targeting distinctly different human traits. These attributes within one person may well affect each other, but they can be seen as different.

I would hesitate to call these even "near-synonyms". As post #2 so well illustrates, they are NOT interchangeable.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the three words can be used this a sentence like this:

His dishonest deeds have brought disgrace/dishonour/discredit to his family.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know about anyone else but "I don't think he will dishonour that cheque" doesn't work for me at all (marked as correct in post #2 by Teechar). A bank can "honour a cheque". I'm pretty sure the opposite isn't "dishonour".

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I don't know about anyone else but "I don't think he will dishonour that cheque" doesn't work for me at all (marked as correct in post #2 by Teechar). A bank can "honour a cheque". I'm pretty sure the opposite isn't "dishonour".

Agreed. Dishonor is not the loss of <all meanings of honor>. In any case, when a bank does or does not "honor" a check, we are using the verb form of "honor", not the noun.

Status
Not open for further replies.