Which US state is this american english accent from??

Status
Not open for further replies.

orsobubu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm seeking help from native american speakers

I'm wondering if someone among you could help me locate the possible United States home state of this dialect (this link points directly to a mp3 file stored in my google drive account):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88cMlrd1f8KY1llVGFZbk5jMjQ/view?usp=sharing

Also, I'd be glad if you could point out some notable characteristics in the pronounciation and its diffusion in the country, comparing its strenghts and weaknesses to a hypotetical "standard" american english...

I love this heavy accent !! Thank you!!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm seeking help from native American English speakers.

I'm wondering if someone among you could help me [STRIKE]locate[/STRIKE] identify the [STRIKE]possible[/STRIKE] United States home state of this dialect (this link points directly to a mp3 file stored in my google drive account):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88cMlrd1f8KY1llVGFZbk5jMjQ/view?usp=sharing

Also, I'd be glad if you could point out some notable characteristics in the [STRIKE]pronounciation[/STRIKE] pronunciation and its diffusion in the country, comparing its [STRIKE]strenghts[/STRIKE] strengths and weaknesses to a hypothetical "standard" American English.

I love this heavy accent! [STRIKE]!![/STRIKE] Thank you!

I'm not American so I won't try to help out with your question. However, please note my corrections above to your written English. It's important to capitalise proper nouns.
Be careful with the phrase "native American" - it is used to refer to the indigenous people who lived on that continent before it was "invaded/discovered" by Europeans.

orsobubu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm not American so I won't try to help out with your question. However, please note my corrections above to your written English. It's important to capitalise proper nouns.
Be careful with the phrase "native American" - it is used to refer to the indigenous people who lived on that continent before it was "invaded/discovered" by Europeans.

Wow emsr2d2! A big thank you! I couldn't think to receive such a careful review for my post! I think I could have done better if I had imagined this, Anyay, I'm really surprised that you passed so much of the other words because I don't rate my english pretty well!

Can I ask you to express a personal valuation about the dialect in the mp3 snippet, from the point of view of your perfectly english English?

THX again :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow emsr2d2! A big thank you! I couldn't think to receive such a careful review for my post! I think I could have done better if I had imagined this, Anyay, I'm really surprised that you passed so much of the other words because I don't rate my english pretty well!

Can I ask you to express a personal valuation about the dialect in the mp3 snippet, from the point of view of your perfectly english English?

THX again :-D

Did you read what I said about capitalising proper nouns?

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
This is tough. His accent is very hard for me to place because it sounds so generic.

He pronounces his final R's in a very strong way reminiscent of Upstate New York, but he also pronounces "again" with a Southern twang ("agin"). I didn't hear any key words that would make me say "A ha! He's from XXXXX!"

I could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing he could be from anywhere in the strip of states between Kansas/Nebraska through Missouri/Iowa and Illinois to Upstate New York (Rochester/Buffalo).

But he could well be from elsewhere.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Definitely not upper Midwest or upstate New York. His pronunciation of the first vowel in basis and the second in thirteen reveals that he's from an area with a little Appalachian influence. He could possibly be from my region, southwest Ohio, or anywhere from here west such as Missouri or Oklahoma.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I detect a Southern influence as well, but that could be from a parent from that region rather than living there himself. Honestly, it could be the Rocky Mountain region or northern California as well. The Rs are the most distinctive part of his speech. Agreed that it's definitely not upper Midwest nor the western part of upstate New York, and not New England. It could even be Texas originally with a long-term exposure to living in the north.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would guess maybe northern Arkansas, or eastern Oklahoma, maybe up through the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles.

Sounds very familiar to my ear.

If you'll post the speakers name, you can probably do some research on him and get some history.

orsobubu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you all, your discussions are really interesting, very fascinating, I can only try to imagine the subtleties your ear is able to grasp!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You probably noticed that we didn't really answer the question, "what state is this accent from?" That's because American accents usually cover regions that spread over multiple states. It's also common for more than one accent to coexist in a single state. We also have ethnic accents, particularly among African-Americans, which can be heard in widely different geographical areas.

In my home state of Ohio, white people in the northeast region generally have a mid-Atlantic accent similar to that of their neighbors in northwest Pennsylvania* and northwest New York. Down here in the southwestern part of the state, we're on a fuzzy accent boundary. Many of us (including me) have accents with a strong Appalachian influence, while others sound more like Midwesterners. Southeastern Ohio is firmly in the Appalachian region, though the accent is less pronounced there than in the hills of West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Some people in those areas are not easily understood by people from other places.

*I once had the pleasure of visiting the little city of North East, Pennsylvania. It's not my fault that this pleasant place is located in the north-west corner of the state.

orsobubu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
You probably noticed that we didn't really answer the question, "what state is this accent from?" That's because American accents usually cover regions that spread over multiple states. It's also common for more than one accent to coexist in a single state. We also have ethnic accents, particularly among African-Americans, which can be heard in widely different geographical areas.

In my home state of Ohio, white people in the northeast region generally have a mid-Atlantic accent similar to that of their neighbors in northwest Pennsylvania* and northwest New York. Down here in the southwestern part of the state, we're on a fuzzy accent boundary. Many of us (including me) have accents with a strong Appalachian influence, while others sound more like Midwesterners. Southeastern Ohio is firmly in the Appalachian region, though the accent is less pronounced there than in the hills of West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Some people in those areas are not easily understood by people from other places.

*I once had the pleasure of visiting the little city of North East, Pennsylvania. It's not my fault that this pleasant place is located in the north-west corner of the state.
haha from wikipedia turns out that city is in the north east of the north-west of the north-east of the USA ...

GoesStation, that's a stunning complex texture of accents painted on your country... in the end I think I will try to speak like a texan-oklahoman... it sounds good to me, I think it is the region in the middle of the possibilities... in the southern vertex of the hypotetical triangle connecting north-west, north-east and south... I find it funny when watching videos where californians try to simulate and ridiculize the accent of newyorkers and viceversa... hehehe... very funny, so instead trying to be similar to an oklahoman or arkansan or texan will give me more credibility and authority, isnt'it?

in Italy we are more strictly tied to respective regional boundaries, but we have additionally the feature that every dialect has specific words and syntax very different from each other, so we are usually sure when identifying the original place, even if we absolutely cannot understand the meaning... and another thing is that we are most of times very annoyed at listening to accents others than ours...

by the way, I cannot speak nor write English or American English well, but I can plot by memory a full chart of USA complete with every state, with correct sizes, proportions and boundaries... both with Mercatore or Robinson map projection...hehe

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It must be fun to live in southwest North East, northwestern Pennsylvania. :)

Most people who study American English will learn a "general American" accent similar to what you'll hear most often if you listen to the news on National Public Radio. Texans and Oklahomans often speak with an accent which may sound "uneducated" to many people on the East and West Coast. Note that Texas is a huge place, 2.3 times bigger than Italy, with a wide range of accents (though not nearly as diverse as those spoken in Italy). A West Texas accent sounds nothing like an East Texas accent.

orsobubu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
It must be fun to live in southwest North East, northwestern Pennsylvania. :)

Most people who study American English will learn a "general American" accent similar to what you'll hear most often if you listen to the news on National Public Radio. Texans and Oklahomans often speak with an accent which may sound "uneducated" to many people on the East and West Coast. Note that Texas is a huge place, 2.3 times bigger than Italy, with a wide range of accents (though not nearly as diverse as those spoken in Italy). A West Texas accent sounds nothing like an East Texas accent.

thank you GoesStation, I will take in consideration all of this before start practicing an accent and record a sample hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.