Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Uruguay
Current Location
United States
Hello, everyone!

I've grown quite fond of the word 'mince' to describe that peculiar dainty way of walking but I'm unsure whether it sounds unnatural or too pretentious in that sense. I'm afraid it brings forward food-related ideas more readily? Apart from that, I'd like to know if it's okay to use it with on. I've so far only used it with around and along and google brings up no results of 'mince on' that match this meaning.

This would be the extract I'm working on:

"You wish," He slid his glance sideways to Joe and payed for the cigarettes. The man was still in his quest to find that Doritos flavour variety his life seemed to depend on, so much in fact that he was tripping every two steps and bumping into teenagers and open fridge doors alike. It was quite an hilarious thing to watch, especially when you consider that person usually moved like an angel mincing on fluffy clouds without a care in the world.

Any suggestions are welcome :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't make me think of anything food-related. These days (in BrE), it is frequently used in a derogatory fashion to suggest that a man is walking in a way that might make people think that he is gay. There is a particular manner of walking which has become associated with effeminate gay men. If you said that someone was "mincing down the street", that definition would be the first thing I would think of.

lolipop90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Uruguay
Current Location
United States
Oh, that's good to know! I certainly don't mean it to sound derogatory!

Status
Not open for further replies.