• Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

aside from/besides/apart from...

Which are correct:

1) Aside from all the nasty things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.
    2) Apart from all the nasty things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.
    3) Besides all the nasty things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.

4) Aside from all the nice things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.
    5) Apart from all the nice things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.
    6) Besides all the nice things he said about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.

I don't think 1-3 work. I think one should have 'in spite of' instead of 'aside from', 'apart from' and 'besides'. Or:
    Although he said nasty things about me, he defended me when John accused me of stealing.

Gratefully,
    Navi.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: aside from/besides/apart from...

In "1" to "3", yes, "in spite of" or "despite" are better choices. You are setting up a contradiction, or at least a sharp contrast in behavior.

"4" and "5" are a little harder to fix. I'd prefer to rewrite your sentences, but trying to keep them as intact as possible, you would want to replace your opening with, "In addition to...". Your two statements are in agreement with each other. The statements are additive. "Aside from" and "Apart from" are for presenting an exception.

"6" is okay, except I'd throw in "also" in your second clause; "...he also defended...".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: aside from/besides/apart from...

I'd use "despite" if the two actions seem to contradict each other, and "in addition to" if the two actions complement each other.

Despite [his] having said nasty things about me, John defended me when I was accused of stealing.
    In addition to saying lovely things about me, John defended me when I was accused of stealing.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.