Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi

In a story that I'm reading it I came across "hobby" ("taking care of plants in and around our homes is a hobby for many people").
Then, in the exercises section one of the questions is that "find word in the story that mean "entertainment". There is no other word in the story except "hobby" whose meaning is close to entertainment. I wonder if I can choose "hobby" as an answer to this exercise. Does hobby mean "entertainment"? If not, what is the Difference between hobby and entertainment?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's hard for us to tell. Is that story available online? How long is it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A hobby is a kind of entertainment, I suppose. People usually do their hobbies to entertain themselves.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A hobby is a kind of entertainment, I suppose. People usually do their hobbies to entertain themselves.

Thank you. But, can we consider them as synonyms?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But, can we consider them as synonyms?

I wouldn't, no. Personally, I don't like the term 'synonym' and I don't use it.

I would prefer to say that a hobby is one member of the set of words labelled a kind of entertainment.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
It does appear that "entertainment" is the word they are looking for, but I agree with the others; this is a very poor choice on the part of the writer of this question. "Pastime" would have been a better match for "hobby".

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It does appear that "entertainment" is the word they are looking for, but I agree with the others; this is a very poor choice on the part of the writer of this question. "Pastime" would have been a better match for "hobby".

As you see, "hobby", "entertainment" and "pastime" are all considered to be synonyms. Can we say that pastime, under the word "pastim".
However, both "hobby" and "entertainment" are only synonymous with "pastime".
Isn't it possible to consider all three words as synonyms?!

[h=2]hobby[/h]noun pastime, relaxation, leisure pursuit, sideline, diversion, avocation, favourite occupation, (leisure) activity

[h=2]pastime[/h]noun activity, game, sport, entertainment, leisure, hobby, relaxation, recreation, distraction, amusement, diversion

[h=2]entertainment[/h]noun1. enjoyable, fun, pleasure, leisure, satisfaction, relaxation, recreation, enjoyment, distraction, amusement, diversion I play the piano purely for my own entertainment.
2. pastime, show, sport, performance, play, treat, presentation, leisure activity, beer and skittles

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As you see, "hobby", "entertainment" and "pastime" are all considered to be synonyms. Can we say that pastime, under the word "pastim".
However, both "hobby" and "entertainment" are only synonymous with "pastime".
Isn't it possible to consider all three words as synonyms?

Under discussion here. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.