[Grammar] Present Perfect vs. Present Continuous (I've tried to follow vs I've tried following)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.C. Foster

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Egypt
I'm trying to figure out if there is a difference in meaning between the following sentences:

1) Lately, I have tried to follow my doctor’s advice about eating and exercising but I keep failing.

2) Lately, I have been trying to follow my doctor’s advice about eating and exercising but I keep failing.

I know that the both the present perfect and the present perfect continuous can be used to talk about things where there is a connection between the past and the present. This seems to be the case above.

In the above two cases, is there one that is inherently better than the the other?

Thanks.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They both work but have subtly diffferent emphases. I prefer 2) because it places an extra emphasis on the continuous or repeated nature of the effort.

TBJESE

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1) Suggests that you recently tried to follow the advice, but because you are failing to follow it, you may have stopped trying.

2) Suggests that you recently started to try to follow the advice and are still trying to follow it, even though you are failing to follow it.

The correct tense depends on whether you want to frame your trying as being in the past (and not the present) or whether you want to emphasis that the trying is continuous.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
TBJESE, please read this extract from the Forum Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.