Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'm aware that the usual pronunciation is ˈ/ɒrətə/. But recently in a video I was quite sure I heard it pronounced ˈ/ɒreɪdə/.
Concerning only the mid-vowel sound, are there any differences in pronunciacion among English dialects that any of you may know of? Is the mid-vowel sound always a scwha? Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Forvo.com is a great website for hearing real people's recordings of millions of words. Choose English from the list of available languages, then type the word you want to hear in the Search box.

This is the result for "orator". There is a recording from a speaker in Canada, one in Australia and one in the UK.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The second syllable (middle vowel) is only a schwa if you stress the first syllable. Some people, myself included, stress the second syllable, in which case the first syllable is a schwa and the middle vowel is an /ei/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I put the stress on the first syllable in "orator" and on the second syllable in "oration".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I do the same as Emsr2d2, but I hear all sorts of things pronounced differently nowadays. We seem to be moving in times of flexible stress and sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.