• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

cool kids

Hello everyone,

John Kavanagh writes in his book.

"When I went into secondary school, I was in the lowest stream of students. I had done terribly in the entrance exams because I’d spent
    my last two years of primary school messing around. I wasn’t outstanding academically, but I was pretty good when it came to
    studying and applying myself. I wasn’t one of the cool kids, but I wasn’t part of the nerdy group either. In fact, I was mostly on my
    own, or with my best friend, Derek Clarke. Derek and I both started keeping tarantulas."

What does "cool kids" mean in this context? Kids who behave arrogant and don't like studying?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: cool kids

"Cool" means "trendy/fashionable/up-to-date". Did you check "cool" in several dictionaries? I'm sure you would have found its colloquial definition in most of them.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Did you check "cool" in several dictionaries?
    I did, yes.

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie.../cool_1?q=cool

7 (informal) calm and confident in a way that lacks respect for other people, but makes people admire you as well as disapprove

That's why I asked if "cool" implies being arrogant.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

That's not the same definition I was referring to! Of course, some kids are very arrogant and lack respect but they're only considered cool by a small minority of other kids. Generally, the cool kids are the ones with the latest clothes, the latest gadgets, lots of friends. Sadly, it rarely has anything to do with their academic ability. The "nerdy" kids (also referred to in your extract) are the ones who spend a lot of time studying, do their homework, are possibly also good with IT (might play computer games or be into hacking, although the latter might also make them "cool"!), probably don't wear trendy clothes.
    There's no exact definition dictating which kids are cool and which are nerdy but if you ask any student, they'll be able to tell you which camp they fall into and also which adjective they'd use for most of their classmates.

In your defence, I had a look in a few dictionaries and they didn't list the definition I was referring to. The Urban Dictionary does, though: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coolhttp://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cool
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.