Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
hi ,
why " Huawei " is pronounced like that " Wah way " ?
i saw videos on youtube about a man ask people to pronounce it , and they were not able to .
is not it English ?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is a Chinese company.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It is a Chinese company.

I know it's a Chinese company but the letters are in English , so American or British people who wrote it not Chinese people ,
because if Chinese people who did that , they would have written it in Chinese letters .

do not you think ?

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It is a Chinese company.

I know but the word is in English , written with English letters , which means that American or British people wrote it not Chinese people ,
Unless a Chinese man who know nothing about English wrote it .

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The company will have a Chinese form, but it is up to them to choose the English spelling, and tell us how to pronounce it.Words from languages very different to English often use spellings that are attempts to represent sounds and may look strange.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Huawei is pronounced like (h)wah-way because it's written in a Latinized version of Chinese where each vowel is pronounced as written. In this case, that's hoo-ah-weh-ee, which gets run together as ​(h)wah-way.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The company will have a Chinese form, but it is up to them to choose the English spelling, and tell us how to pronounce it.Words from languages very different to English often use spellings that are attempts to represent sounds and may look strange.

Huawei is pronounced like (h)wah-way because it's written in a Latinized version of Chinese where each vowel is pronounced as written. In this case, that's hoo-ah-weh-ee, which gets run together as ​(h)wah-way.

these 2 replies are the most convincing answers i've seen till now after searching the internet , and it is the first time i notice that as Arabian ,
when we want to write this letter " غ " in English , we wrote it "GH" , and i think that's what you both meant , but we do so because in English the sound of
" غ " does not exist , that's why it is replaced with " GH " which represents it , but
in case of "Huawei" , all sounds exist in English , there are h , w,a,w,y , so why the need of replacing the sound with other characters ?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Don't forget that the pronunciation you hear is also an anglicised version. The original method of transcription may be trying to cover sounds that have since been changed.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
these 2 replies are the most convincing answers i've seen till now after searching the internet , and it is the first time i notice that as Arabian ,
when we want to write this letter " غ " in English , we wrote it "GH" , and i think that's what you both meant , but we do so because in English the sound of
" غ " does not exist , that's why it is replaced with " GH " which represents it , but
in case of "Huawei" , all sounds exist in English , there are h , w,a,w,y , so why the need of replacing the sound with other characters ?

You can read about the Romanized spelling and English pronunciation of Huawei here.

Eslam Elbyaly

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I do not know how i missed that reference !!
thank you so much , i got it .

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I do not know how I missed that reference. [strike]!![/strike]
Thank you so much. I've got it.

Note my corrections above. Remember to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.