Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I’m not a good listener.Even if ı listen to music ı don’t really understand what people are speaking in dialogue.I can’t imagine that so İt doesnt mean anything to me.I dont know how can I speak,My pronunciation is not good.I know vocabulary little bit but ı dont know where can I begin to this.How can ı pronunce it?Or I don’t know when they’re speaking which Word they’re using? I ‘m trying to guess them.
I can’t catch them.And at the same time I m learning bilingual language.French complitely opposite to English esp Pronuncation.I tried a lot of this like watching,reading,listening.But it doesn’t work.And speakers have an Accent but ı havent.I don’t understand without english subt or transcrption or lyrics.What should ı do?I wanna understand without them.I think that those things are connected with each other.
We started to learn with grammar in my colllege that’s why ı’m not a good speaker or listener.
Shadowing is not a perfect tecnique to speak cuz ı can’t say anything when ı’m listening.I think I should see how do they pronunce it with their mimics or their mouths.I should ı follow them.Is there any solution for this?I can’t fnd anthing.And It took my time.It ‘s just for NOTHING.Could you imagine that?IMy teacher makes us listen to recorded dialoges without image or people.It’s really boring.How they are boring I can’t explain.I’m stressed out.So there is a big problem in my communication skills.

alquezad

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Australia
I am not an English teacher, just an ESL student who has faced with similar issues over his learning process. I will give you some advice I have received from my teachers.

They say the main issue about not understanding what someone else is saying is the lack of vocabulary. Of course, there are other areas to take into account such as grammar, yet when it comes to bringing your listening skills to the next level, improving your vocabulary is the area where your focus should be on. Curiously, the most effective way to improve vocabulary is by reading. Therefore, to improve listening my teachers recommend me read lots of stuff related to the subject I want to listen afterwards. If that were sports, read sports and so on. Of course, you need to complement your vocabulary learning how these words sound, and for that, you might use the google translate listening function or other more sophisticated programs. Additionally, when reading you are also more aware of understanding grammar, which is commonly passed over while listening given that ESL students listen for content and not for details. Try reading.

Another really important consideration is to have the audio transcripts along with you to check those words you did not get. And again, by reviewing them you are also improving your vocab. There are plenty of websites on the Internet where you will find listening exercises and their transcripts.

Finally, with respect to speaking - just speak. It’s a matter of time, the more you practice, the more confident you will be and hopefully getting your message across will be a lot easier.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I’m not a good listener. (Space after a full stop.) Even if I listen to music, I don’t really understand what people are [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] saying/singing. [STRIKE]in dialogue.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]I can’t imagine that so[/STRIKE] İt doesn't mean anything to me. (Space after a full stop.) I don't know how [STRIKE]can I[/STRIKE] to speak well and my pronunciation is not good. (Space after a full stop.) I know some vocabulary [STRIKE]little bit[/STRIKE] but I don't know [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] how I can [STRIKE]I[/STRIKE] begin to improve this. (Space after a full stop.) How can I pronounce it? (Space after a question mark.) What does "it" refer to?
[STRIKE]Or[/STRIKE] I don’t know [STRIKE]when they’re speaking[/STRIKE] which words they’re using. I ‘m trying to guess them because I can’t [STRIKE]catch[/STRIKE] hear them clearly.

[STRIKE]And at the same time[/STRIKE] I'm also learning [STRIKE]bilingual language.[/STRIKE] French which is completely [STRIKE]opposite[/STRIKE] different [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] from English, especially with regard to pronuncation. (Space after a full stop.)
I have tried a lot of [STRIKE]this like[/STRIKE] watching, (Space after a comma) reading and listening but it doesn’t work. (Space after a full stop.) [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, some speakers have an accent but I [STRIKE]havent[/STRIKE] don't understand what they say. (Space after a full stop.) I don’t understand without the English subtitles, [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] transcription or lyrics. (Space after a full stop.) What should I do? (Space after a question mark.) I [STRIKE]wanna[/STRIKE] want to understand without them. (Space after a full stop.) I think that those things are connected with each other. What are "those things"?

We started to learn [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] grammar in my college; that’s why I’m not a good speaker or listener. I don't see the connection.

Shadowing is not a perfect technique to help me speak [STRIKE]cuz[/STRIKE] because I can’t say anything when I’m listening. (Space after a full stop.) I think I should [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] watch how [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] they pronounce [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] words with their [STRIKE]mimics or their[/STRIKE] mouths. (Space after a full stop.) Should I [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] follow them? (Space after a question mark.) Is there any solution for this? (Space after a question mark.) I can’t find anything and [STRIKE]It[/STRIKE] searching for a solution [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] has taken up a lot of my time [STRIKE]It ‘s just[/STRIKE] for NOTHING. (Space after a full stop.) Could you imagine that? (Space after a full stop.) My teacher makes us listen to recorded dialogues without images or people. (Space after a full stop.) It’s really boring. (Space after a full stop.) How they are boring, I can’t explain. (Space after a full stop.) I’m stressed out [STRIKE].So[/STRIKE] because there is a big problem [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] with my communication skills.

First, please note my multiple corrections to your post. You appear to have a lot of problems with your written English. Memorise (or print out) these rules:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

You need to find the lower case "i" on your keyboard. You also need to make sure you use apostrophes where they are needed.

It is difficult to suggest specific ways for you to improve your listening technique, other than to say "Keep practising!" Surround yourself with English - find an English radio station and play it as often as possible. Don't try to understand every word - just get used to the rhythm and sounds of the language. Do the listening comprehensions that your teacher provides link in some way with the grammar points he/she has taught in that lesson? Are the other students in the class having the same problems? Have you all explained to your teacher that the dialogues are boring and that you aren't learning anything?

Mikepann83

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello - Did you consider taking up a formal coaching or training? I used to have the same problem, I took language coaching from a place called [advertising link deleted by moderator] and I am better now. I am sure there must be some training center in your locality. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.