Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,853
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Take left from the university.

    Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at I.G.N.O.U university. There is a turning on left after few meters, take that turn and go straight on until the road forks. Take the left fork or turn left from there and go straight on until you find a crossroads. From there go staight on until you reach a lean street on left. Enter that street go straight until that street gets divided into three different lean streets. From there enter the street on your right and go straight."

    Please check.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2016
    • Posts: 357
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at I.G.N.O.U IGNOU university. There is a turning on the left after few meters,; take that turn and go straight on until the road forks. Take the left fork or turn left from there and go straight on until you find a crossroads. From there go staight straight on until you reach a lean narrow{?} street on the left. Enter that street then go straight until that street gets divided it divides into three different lean narrow streets. From there, enter the street on your right and go straight."
    There you go... Strictly speaking, we do place periods "." between letters of acronyms, but this is generally dropped. You'll especially note universities (almost) never use periods.
    Last edited by ChinaDan; 10-Oct-2016 at 08:43.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at I.G.N.O.U university. There is a turning on left after few meters, take that turn and go straight on until the road forks.
    Impossible. There are any number of turnings on the left, depending on which way you facing. Your directions won't work. I explained this when you were talking about hotels, or flats. If you think they will, try it.

    Also, note that we very rarely use periods to separate letters (if at all). If you use them for abbreviations, you must put one after each letter, including the last one - I.G.N.O.U.
    USA = U.S.A. not U.S.A - if you decide to use periods. The dots do not separate letters; they abbreviated words.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,853
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Impossible. There are any number of turnings on the left, depending on which way you facing. Your directions won't work. I explained this when you were talking about hotels, or flats. If you think they will, try it.

    Also, note that we very rarely use periods to separate letters (if at all). If you use them for abbreviations, you must put one after each letter, including the last one - I.G.N.O.U.
    USA = U.S.A. not U.S.A - if you decide to use periods. The dots do not separate letters; they abbreviated words.
    "If you are coming from the direction of the IGNOU university then take the first right turn. Take the last left turn if you are coming from the opposite direction, or going towards the IGNOU university."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,853
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "If you are coming from the direction of the IGNOU university then take the first right turn. Take the last left turn if you are coming from the opposite direction, or going towards the IGNOU university."
    Could you please check this passage?

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Could you please check this passage?
    You don't need my help. Just think a little about what the direction means to speaker and hearer; change their places, etc. Directions like yours can't be given unless both the position and direction faced by the speaker and hearer are known. At least, it's not a matter of English. Your directions won't work in any language.

  3. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 6,575
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDan View Post
    Strictly speaking, we do place periods "." between letters of acronyms, but this is generally dropped.
    Few speakers of BrE do. Abbreviations and acronyms without full stops (periods) are correct and natural.

    By the way, I agree that you have said something similar. I have written this only because of your 'strictly speaking', which is not true for BrE.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Take left from the university.

    When I say we don't put dots between the letters, I mean we don't put them there with the intention of separating the letters. We put them there to show that we are abbreviating. To abbreviate "United States of America", we write a 'U', then put a dot to show that we are abbreviating "United", and then we put a 'S'. The dot is not necessary to separate letters.
    At the end, we put a dot to abbreviate "America". Like the other dots, this has no separating function.
    Last edited by Raymott; 15-Oct-2016 at 12:08.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,853
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Take left from the university.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You don't need my help. Just think a little about what the direction means to speaker and hearer; change their places, etc. Directions like yours can't be given unless both the position and direction faced by the speaker and hearer are known. At least, it's not a matter of English. Your directions won't work in any language.
    Are you saying that I should be saying "If you are coming from north direction so take a left turn otherwise take a right turn?"

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Take left from the university.

    I'm saying that to give a "turn left" direction, you must know which way a person is facing, and where they are. Yes, "If you are coming to the University on the main road from the north, you need to turn left just past the university gates. If you are in the university and coming out to the gates, you to turn right just before the gates.
    "If you are on Path A outside Building 1 and you are facing Building 2, take that path for 100m. and then turn left."
    You can't just say, "If you are at X university, leave it and then turn left after 100m" - unless it only has one gate or door.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2016, 20:26
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2015, 09:49
  3. [General] left/left his family
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2013, 08:36
  4. [Grammar] Present Perfect again: I've left or left?
    By Will17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2011, 10:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •