Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at I.G.N.O.U university. There is a turning on left after few meters, take that turn and go straight on until the road forks. Take the left fork or turn left from there and go straight on until you find a crossroads. From there go staight on until you reach a lean street on left. Enter that street go straight until that street gets divided into three different lean streets. From there enter the street on your right and go straight."

Please check.

ChinaDan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at [STRIKE]I.G.N.O.U[/STRIKE] IGNOU university. There is a turning on the left after few meters[STRIKE],[/STRIKE]; take that turn and go straight on until the road forks. Take the left fork [STRIKE]or turn left from there[/STRIKE] and go straight on until you find a crossroads. From there go [STRIKE]staight[/STRIKE] straight on until you reach a [STRIKE]lean[/STRIKE] narrow{?} street on the left. Enter that street then go straight until [STRIKE]that street gets divided[/STRIKE] it divides into three different [STRIKE]lean[/STRIKE] narrow streets. From there, enter the street on your right and go straight."

There you go... Strictly speaking, we do place periods "." between letters of acronyms, but this is generally dropped. You'll especially note universities (almost) never use periods.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Me to a delivery boy: "Okay, you are standing at I.G.N.O.U university. There is a turning on left after few meters, take that turn and go straight on until the road forks.
Impossible. There are any number of turnings on the left, depending on which way you facing. Your directions won't work. I explained this when you were talking about hotels, or flats. If you think they will, try it.

Also, note that we very rarely use periods to separate letters (if at all). If you use them for abbreviations, you must put one after each letter, including the last one - I.G.N.O.U.
USA = U.S.A. not U.S.A - if you decide to use periods. The dots do not separate letters; they abbreviated words.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Impossible. There are any number of turnings on the left, depending on which way you facing. Your directions won't work. I explained this when you were talking about hotels, or flats. If you think they will, try it.

Also, note that we very rarely use periods to separate letters (if at all). If you use them for abbreviations, you must put one after each letter, including the last one - I.G.N.O.U.
USA = U.S.A. not U.S.A - if you decide to use periods. The dots do not separate letters; they abbreviated words.

"If you are coming from the direction of the IGNOU university then take the first right turn. Take the last left turn if you are coming from the opposite direction, or going towards the IGNOU university."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"If you are coming from the direction of the IGNOU university then take the first right turn. Take the last left turn if you are coming from the opposite direction, or going towards the IGNOU university."

Could you please check this passage?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you please check this passage?

You don't need my help. Just think a little about what the direction means to speaker and hearer; change their places, etc. Directions like yours can't be given unless both the position and direction faced by the speaker and hearer are known. At least, it's not a matter of English. Your directions won't work in any language.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When I say we don't put dots between the letters, I mean we don't put them there with the intention of separating the letters. We put them there to show that we are abbreviating. To abbreviate "United States of America", we write a 'U', then put a dot to show that we are abbreviating "United", and then we put a 'S'. The dot is not necessary to separate letters.
At the end, we put a dot to abbreviate "America". Like the other dots, this has no separating function.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You don't need my help. Just think a little about what the direction means to speaker and hearer; change their places, etc. Directions like yours can't be given unless both the position and direction faced by the speaker and hearer are known. At least, it's not a matter of English. Your directions won't work in any language.

Are you saying that I should be saying "If you are coming from north direction so take a left turn otherwise take a right turn?"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm saying that to give a "turn left" direction, you must know which way a person is facing, and where they are. Yes, "If you are coming to the University on the main road from the north, you need to turn left just past the university gates. If you are in the university and coming out to the gates, you to turn right just before the gates.
"If you are on Path A outside Building 1 and you are facing Building 2, take that path for 100m. and then turn left."
You can't just say, "If you are at X university, leave it and then turn left after 100m" - unless it only has one gate or door.

Status
Not open for further replies.