Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
What Donald Trump has said makes me wonder about the meaning of the sentence - Grab her by the P****.
Please do not write about politics here. Just about the meaning of the sentence.

I didn't understand at first the meaning of the sentence because his using in "by the". The sentence(from my understanding) should be: grab her in the P****.

It doesn't sound correct for me.

What is the difference between the sentences?

Thanks.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The general expression, when talking about a person, is to grab by the [appendage]. Typical appendages would be the arm, the elbow, the hand, or perhaps the nose or the ear if you're talking about a fight.

Mr. Trump presumably meant something like ​grope her crotch.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that many consider the word to be at least somewhat vulgar. Most media outlets reported it as "p____" or "p****y" so it would not be in print. When Saturday Night Live did a parody of it, my jaw literally dropped when they said the word on network television.

This is not a word you'd use around your grandmother, for example, or your first-grade teacher.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that many consider the word to be at least somewhat vulgar. Most media outlets reported it as "p____" or "p****y" so it would not be in print. When Saturday Night Live did a parody of it, my jaw literally dropped when they said the word on network television.

This is not a word you'd use around your grandmother, for example, or your first-grade teacher.

The New York Times apparently printed not only p***y, but f***, right on the front page of their Saturday edition. This marks a huge departure from their previous practice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Incidentally, my cat bit me by the nose a couple of days ago.

That's not natural. We would say either "My cat bit me on the nose" or "The cat bit my nose".

We use "by" with things like "grab/pull/tug/haul/lead".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The New York Times apparently printed not only p***y, but f***, right on the front page of their Saturday edition. This marks a huge departure from their previous practice.

Some British newspapers like The Guardian print such words in full when they are part of the story.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't seen it with asterisks anywhere in the UK yet. That might have more to do with the fact that I don't read mainstream newspapers or news websites - my sources tend to print everything in full, no matter what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.