Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

According to the following definition of slang, it's been considered to be expression. So what is the difference between slang and expression?

Slang words are expressions that only certain groups of people use and understand.

For example, if we assume that ONLY English-speaking Muslims use "I beg you to pray" (I am not sure if this English equivalent is used by them, but this is a direct translation from Persian), can we claim that this is a slang? or is it an expression of that specific sub-group?, and why is it so?

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That is not a good definition. Words are not expressions. Even if it were sound, it is the words, not 'slang' that are defined as 'expressions'. It is not 'a slang'. 'Slang' is uncountabble. And 'I beg you to pray' is not slang. Slang is generally considered to be inferior in some way to standard language, so we would not use it for the formulaic expressions used by religious groups. IF 'I beg you to pray' were used, we would probably refer to it as a formulaic expression. It's pointless to say any more about that formulaic expression, because we have no evidence that it is used.

Do you mean that words (taken together) are expressions?, but not slang?
I think you meant to say "slang is not expression" but you've said "Words are not expressions". Then, you've continued "it is the words, not 'slang' that are defined as 'expressions'

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not sure what you are asking here.I wrote what I intended to write. Words are not expressions but, in the sentence I quoted, they were defined as expressions.

Actually single words can sometimes be expressions. For example. 'Damn!' may be referred to as an expression of annoyance.

I see. but, the definition that I've posted here defines "slang words" not just words!

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you mean that words (taken together) are expressions?, but not slang?
I think you meant to say "slang is not expression" but you've said "Words are not expressions". Then, you've continued "it is the words, not 'slang' that are defined as 'expressions'

I see. So it'd be better to refer to "slang" as the inferior type of language.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. So it'd be better to refer to "slang" as the inferior type of language.

"Lower-register" or "less formal" are neutral ways to describe it. Queen Elizabeth may consider slang inferior to her version of English; if so, the rest of the world doesn't have to agree. The winner of the Nobel Prize for literature announced yesterday used lots of slang in his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.