Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Green Goblin tells Spider-Man:
-- There are 8 million people in this city, and those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. You and me, we're exceptional.
Spider-Man, movie

I think that by "the few exceptional people" here refers to the two specific people -- himself and Spider-Man.

If he'd said "few exceptional people" instead, without the article, it would be about unspecified few people, and in this case, in the next sentence ("You and me, we're exceptional.") he would reckon himself and Spider-Man among the category of "few exceptional people". Am I correct?
Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He is saying that there is a very limited number of exceptional people and that the two of them are two of them.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I take it to mean '... lifting the few exceptional people, e.g. you and me, onto their shoulders'.

I think 'the few' must be more than two.

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
He is saying that there is a very limited number of exceptional people and that the two of them are two of them.
Yes, I understand that, but I asked particulary about the difference between two options: with the article (as it is in the original), and the hypothetical option without the article...

x-posted with Matthew Wai

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I take it to mean '... lifting the few exceptional people, e.g. you and me, onto their shoulders'.

I think 'the few' must be more than two.
If so, why to use the article before "few"?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think Green Goblin had a few exceptional people in mind, and 'the few exceptional people' referred to these few people, among whom were Green Goblin and Spider-Man.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it says "lifting few exceptional people" it means only a small number of the exceptional people (out of a larger group of exceptionals).

Since it says "lifting the few exceptional people" it is stating that there is a specific group of exceptional people, but that their numbers are small.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If he'd said "few exceptional people" instead, without the article, it would be about unspecified few people, and in this case, in the next sentence ("You and me, we're exceptional.") he would reckon himself and Spider-Man among the category of "few exceptional people". Am I correct?
Thank you.

No. ...For the sole purpose of lifting few exceptional people is ungrammatical. An article is required; had he said a few, he'd mean "a small number". By choosing the few, he emphasizes that he's talking about a select group.

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No. ...For the sole purpose of lifting few exceptional people is ungrammatical. An article is required; had he said a few, he'd mean "a small number". By choosing the few, he emphasizes that he's talking about a select group.

Sorry, what's ungrammatical in it? "People" is a plural noun and doesn't require a determiner before itself. E.g.:
It was embarrassing how few people attended the party.
CALD

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about 'It is not worthwhile to spend much money for the sole purpose of helping few people'?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about 'It is not worthwhile to spend much money for the sole purpose of helping few people'?

It doesn't work; you need an indefinite article. You can, however, write ​Few people are helped by random spending.

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It doesn't work; you need an indefinite article. You can, however, write ​Few people are helped by random spending.
Sorry do I correctly understand you disagree with the others? Because I have a feeling that the other members see nothing wrong grammatically with "the sole purpose of lifting few exceptional people onto their shoulders" in the original (except it would change the meaning a little)?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it says "lifting few exceptional people" it means only a small number of the exceptional people (out of a larger group of exceptionals).
If I understand it correctly, 'few exceptional people' means 'few of the exceptional people'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry do I correctly understand you disagree with the others? Because I have a feeling that the other members see nothing wrong grammatically with "the sole purpose of lifting few exceptional people onto their shoulders" in the original (except it would change the meaning a little)?

You might want to re-read the previous posts in this thread. The sentence you quote is incorrect. I think all the native Anglophones who have posted agree.

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You might want to re-read the previous posts in this thread. The sentence you quote is incorrect. I think all the native Anglophones who have posted agree.
For example:

few people - not many.

'Few' always has the negative idea. 'A few' doesn't.
Or posts #15-16
What's unclear to me is what's wrong with "helping/lifting few exceptional people".
Google gives for "helping few people" 75 results, for "helping the few people" only 27.
I mean, if I don't think of any particular people, why can't I say just "few people"?...

Vik-Nik-Sor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
That's irrelevant. We have been discussing the acceptability of few/a few/the few in specific sentences.
In this sentence in post #12:
'It is not worthwhile to spend much money for the sole purpose of helping few people.'
... why is "few people" incorrect tell please:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.