What does it mean- "There is something to be said for." and "You can say that again."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinara Javad

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
What does it mean- "There is something to be said for." and "You can say that again."

:-|

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What does it mean- "There is something to be said for." and "You can say that aga

Providing context always helps get a better answer.

"You can say that again!" is an expression of agreement with what someone else just said. Meaning "I liked hearing what you said and would like to hear it again." It is not a literal request for someone to actually repeat themselves.

One co-worker to another: "It's finally Friday and we don't have to come to work tomorrow!"
Other co-worker: "You can say that again!"

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What does it mean- "There is something to be said for." and "You can say that aga

"There's something to be said for X " is a way of expressing your appreciation for X. You think there's some benefit or advantage about X.

There's something to be said for a nice home-cooked meal = I really enjoy a good home-cooked meal.

It can sometimes emphasize the fact that there's a benefit in something you might not automatically associate with being a positive thing. In that case, it's common to follow up with the reason why.

There's something to be said for being single. I get to make all my own decisions.

You'll also hear the variation of 'there's a lot to be said for X'.

Status
Not open for further replies.