• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile ill-formed sentences

I'm having a problem in detecting what would grammarian consider it a mistake in these sentences
    and before you read the sentences I wrote, I would like to ask how can I do this on my own? is there a book or something that tells what sentences grammarians consider as an ill-formed and what are their rules and how they are perspective?

1- I ought to go there,didn't i/shouldn't I?

I find the tag question here should be oughtn't I? but it still feels weird? is this what grammarians would say?

2- everyone loses their cool now and then
    my answer: every now and then
    but it's just my competence I'm not sure about my answers because I'm not a native speaker

3- hopefully, the weather will be clear up by tomorrow
    I know that the answer is '' weather cannot be hopeful'' but why? can't a person be hopeful for something? is it abstract? I don't get it

4- it's me who gets the blame for everything
    my answer: it's I who ...etc.

5- between you and I, him and here are quite good friends
    my answer: between you and me ... but the rest of the sentence is still odd? does it meant to ask who is the better friend? or should I change the sentence syntactically?

6- if I was you, I would resign
    I don't see anything wrong with it, maybe its ok in spoken language? but what would written language have as a substitute?
    is there a certain rule for it to grammarians? like me to I or oughtn't?

I want to do this on my own, and I find it frustrating for me to not be able to solve it.
    do native speakers have this? are they familiar with these rules? or is it just written rules for written language?
    how can I detect the ill-formedness in sentences?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 15-Oct-2016 at 00:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ill-formed sentences

Far too many questions. Break them down and ask them one by one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

1.... oughtn't is correct, but many people use shouldn't. Like you, some native speakers find oughtn't unnatural.

2. It's OK with or without every

3. Hopefully has long been accepted as a sentence adverb, though some older speakers of BrE dislike it.

4. It's I is logically correct, but not many these days would object to It's me.

5. Between you and me, he and she are good friends. That is correct, but I would try to avoid between you and me when it's followed by two other pronouns.

6. Were is still the correct form, but you'll often hear was.

It's hard to get a satisfactory answer to questions such as yours. Many native speakers among the minority who think about what they say and write would have some problems there. Style guides often try to insist that only more formal constructions following rules prescribed years ago are correct. To others, the resulting language sound unnatural. It's not the language used by most of us in everyday life. If you are learning English as a foreign language, your teacher may well insist on the traditionally correct forms, though some internationally-recognised examining bodies are not nearly so stringent as some teachers and examining bodies in countries where English is not the official language. American examining bodies tend to expect a more formal style than British.

Forums such as this are very helpful, because you will be able to see what experienced teachers and native speakers think. Don't be surprised if we don't always agree. There is no language academy for English to give the 'official' correct form.

In future threads, please ask about one sentence at a time. We will then be able to discuss your question in more depth without different people talking about different sentences at the same time. Threads can become very confused when that happens. (probus had the same idea while I was writing my response.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

• Post Thanks / Like

probus thank you for responding, I'll try that in the future

Piscean thank you so much! that was really helpful for me.
    yeah I'll try making it short next time to get the best of the discussion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Try not to use so many colours in your text. Some of us teachers like to correct passages in a different colour.