• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Aruba

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Hi,I have a few questions which have been annoying me all the time, I really hope I will get the answers here, anyway thank you.

The first question:(it). I once saw a book,it told :when you use (it ), you can't add adjectives .(but the book doesn't eplain very clearly,so I don't know what it means, could you give me some eamples to make me really understand it

The second question:(uncountable and countable nouns)
    I m learning from Oxford's dictionary . Sometimes I check some words like application, demonstration, mornin, chocolate, fruit, effort, effect, costand so on.. although I have learnt English for a while, I still can't understand what it really means ,how to use it correctly and where the difference is, can I say a chocolate<.? applications or application? I know chocolate is uncountable, but my dictionary says it is either countable or uncountable, are some words including countables and uncountables not diffrent or what? And please give me some examples.

The third Question:(How can I use in ,at and on correctly?). I don't mean the location, when you say someone glance in someone, or hit someone in the face, which parts of the body is used in or on?

That's it for now, I appreciate you repling my questions... Thank you so much.
    Last edited by Nino1012; 15-Oct-2016 at 15:13. Reason: sorry, I didn't know it, i will notice it next time.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi

Before we answer, please click on Edit Post and make the following changes:

- Capitalise the first letter of every sentence.
    - Don't capitalise words which aren't proper nouns.
    - Remove the space from before every comma, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark.
    - Put a space after every comma, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark.

Then click "Save".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

..and please ask each question in separate threads, with a title specific to each, such as You can't add adjectives, Checking words in the dictionary and How can I use 'in', 'at' and 'on' correctly?

Post them one at a time and wait for our answers before posting the next one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

And for maximum chance of a reply, stop rolling your eyes at us.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nino1012 View Post
    The third Question:how to use in ,at and on correctly ?
    See below.
    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We don't start a question with "How to ..." - we start with "How can I" or "How do we" or "How should I".
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nino1012 View Post
    The second question:(uncountable and countable nouns)
    Countabilty and uncountabilty are qualities that nouns display, and many can have both forms. Chocolate is a substance, and when we're thinking of it as such, it is uncountable. However,it also comes in individual instances in boxes that we can eat, and these are countable. Water is a fluid, but it becomes countable when we are ordering individual glasses or bottles of it.