• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

A situational play.

"We decided to do a play on Skype. It was a situational play (means we had to act on a given situation). First we were a bit reluctant because we had already done this play in the past but we agreed and started it. A guy was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested this play wanted me to volunteer him in this play. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time for this play."

Please check.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: A situational play.

There are too many repetitions of 'play'.

Try again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

"We decided to do a situational play on Skype. First we were a bit reluctant because we had done it in the past but we agreed and started it. A guy was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested this wanted me to volunteer him. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time for this play."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "We decided to do a situational play on Skype. At first, we were a bit reluctant because we had done it one in the past, but eventually/in the end we agreed and started it. A guy John/Paul/Simon was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested this doing the play wanted me to volunteer him to play the police officer. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time for on this play."
    See my corrections above. There are some confusing points:

- Why did the fact that you had done a play in the past make you reluctant to do this one?
    - How can someone be too polite to play a police officer? Police officers should be polite at all times.
    - I'm not sure if the person wanted you to volunteer to do the play or to take on the role of the police officer.
    - Did you refuse to play the police officer because you thought the whole thing was a waste of your time, or did you refuse to take part in the entire play?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

- Why did the fact that you had done a play in the past make you reluctant to do this one?
    - How can someone be too polite to play a police officer? Police officers should be polite at all times.
    - I'm not sure if the person wanted you to volunteer to do the play or to take on the role of the police officer.
    - Did you refuse to play the police officer because you thought the whole thing was a waste of your time, or did you refuse to take part in the entire play?
    We had done the same play in the past. Few people were thinking that we could do some other play instead of repeating this one.

The person who was playing police officer was too polite in the sense he wasn't even retorting. An officer won't get afraid of a drunkyard person who tries to intimate him.

That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play. He wanted me as a helper. No he didn't want me to be the officer but a lower rank police personell.

I refused to take part in the entire play.
    Last edited by tufguy; 17-Oct-2016 at 14:22.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

See I tried to amend the quoted part and what happened. It changes the way it looks it is not looking as a quote.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

We had done this play in the past. A few people were thinking thought that we could should do some other play instead of repeating this one.

The person who was playing the police officer was too polite in the sense he wasn't even retorting responding. An officer won't get wouldn't be afraid of a drunkyard person who tries to intimidate him.

That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play.
    This still doesn't make sense. If you "volunteered him" it meant you would say "This guy would like to take part". I assume you mean that he wanted you to volunteer.

He wanted me as a helper. No he didn't want me to be the officer but a lower ranking member of police staff. personell.

I refused to take part in the entire play.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

See I tried to amend the quoted part and what happened. It changes the way it looks it is not looking as a quote.
    You accidentally deleted the bit at the start, enclosed in square brackets. You need to ensure that a quote starts with square brackets enclosing the word "quote" and ends with square brackets enclosing a forward slash and the word "quote".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play.
    This still doesn't make sense. If you "volunteered him" it meant you would say "This guy would like to take part". I assume you mean that he wanted you to volunteer.
    Yes, he wanted me to volunteer. So we can't say "he wanted me to volunteer him", right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Yes, he wanted me to volunteer. So we can't say "he wanted me to volunteer him", right?
    Not if you want it to have the same meaning as "He wanted me to volunteer".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast