Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"We decided to do a play on Skype. It was a situational play (means we had to act on a given situation). First we were a bit reluctant because we had already done this play in the past but we agreed and started it. A guy was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested this play wanted me to volunteer him in this play. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time for this play."

Please check.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are too many repetitions of 'play'.

Try again.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"We decided to do a situational play on Skype. First we were a bit reluctant because we had done it in the past but we agreed and started it. A guy was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested this wanted me to volunteer him. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time for this play."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"We decided to do a situational play on Skype. At first, we were a bit reluctant because we had done [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] one in the past, but eventually/in the end we agreed and started it. [STRIKE]A guy[/STRIKE] John/Paul/Simon was given the role of a police officer but he was too polite for an officer. The person who suggested [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] doing the play wanted me to volunteer [STRIKE]him[/STRIKE] to play the police officer. I refused because it wasn't worth wasting time [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] on this play."

See my corrections above. There are some confusing points:

- Why did the fact that you had done a play in the past make you reluctant to do this one?
- How can someone be too polite to play a police officer? Police officers should be polite at all times.
- I'm not sure if the person wanted you to volunteer to do the play or to take on the role of the police officer.
- Did you refuse to play the police officer because you thought the whole thing was a waste of your time, or did you refuse to take part in the entire play?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
- Why did the fact that you had done a play in the past make you reluctant to do this one?
- How can someone be too polite to play a police officer? Police officers should be polite at all times.
- I'm not sure if the person wanted you to volunteer to do the play or to take on the role of the police officer.
- Did you refuse to play the police officer because you thought the whole thing was a waste of your time, or did you refuse to take part in the entire play?

We had done the same play in the past. Few people were thinking that we could do some other play instead of repeating this one.

The person who was playing police officer was too polite in the sense he wasn't even retorting. An officer won't get afraid of a drunkyard person who tries to intimate him.

That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play. He wanted me as a helper. No he didn't want me to be the officer but a lower rank police personell.

I refused to take part in the entire play.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See I tried to amend the quoted part and what happened. It changes the way it looks it is not looking as a quote.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We had done this play in the past. A few people [STRIKE]were thinking[/STRIKE] thought that we [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] should do some other play instead of repeating this one.

The person who was playing the police officer was too polite in the sense he wasn't even [STRIKE]retorting[/STRIKE] responding. An officer [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] wouldn't be afraid of a drunk[STRIKE]yard[/STRIKE] person who tries to intimidate him.

That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play.
This still doesn't make sense. If you "volunteered him" it meant you would say "This guy would like to take part". I assume you mean that he wanted you to volunteer.

He wanted me as a helper. No he didn't want me to be the officer but a lower ranking member of police staff. [STRIKE]personell.[/STRIKE]

I refused to take part in the entire play.

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
See I tried to amend the quoted part and what happened. It changes the way it looks it is not looking as a quote.

You accidentally deleted the bit at the start, enclosed in square brackets. You need to ensure that a quote starts with square brackets enclosing the word "quote" and ends with square brackets enclosing a forward slash and the word "quote".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That person wanted to me to volunteer him in the play.
This still doesn't make sense. If you "volunteered him" it meant you would say "This guy would like to take part". I assume you mean that he wanted you to volunteer.

Yes, he wanted me to volunteer. So we can't say "he wanted me to volunteer him", right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, he wanted me to volunteer. So we can't say "he wanted me to volunteer him", right?

Not if you want it to have the same meaning as "He wanted me to volunteer".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He wanted me to volunteer him is wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I already told you what "He wanted me to volunteer him" means.

If you volunteer someone else for something, it means that you suggest that they do it, rather than suggesting that you do it.

John: We need someone to play the soldier. Who wants to do it?
Jane: I don't want to do it. I'd like to volunteer Steve!
Steve: No! I don't want to do it either.
John: Well, someone has to do it.
Jane: I suggested Steve because I thought he wanted me to volunteer him!
Steve: What made you think that?
Jane: Yesterday, you told me you really wanted to play the soldier.
Steve: Oh. Yes. I did, didn't I? OK, I'll volunteer then.
John: Great. That's that sorted. Steve's playing the soldier. Now who wants to play the policeman?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay, here it means suggesting someone to do something. What to write then "He wanted me to volunteer"? What is the correct way when I am writing about myself?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He wanted me to volunteer.

Status