My friend left language course half way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"My friend was learning Spanish but he left it in the half way through or part way (I mean in the middle). He didn't complete the course. I was discusing this with him on Skype and one of my friends also joined us. We were having a discussion over this and he left the chat in the middle. He didn't want to discuss it."

Please check.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"My friend was learning Spanish but he didn't complete the course. I was discusing this with him on Skype and one of my friends also joined us and he left the chat in the middle. He didn't want to discuss it."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Once again, there is too much repetition. If he left the course in the middle, there is no need to add that he didn't complete it. If you were discussing it and a friend joined you, there is no need to say again that you were discussing it. Try again.

"He left it in the half way through or part way (I mean in the middle)." Actually I was seeking your views on this line. Is it fine to say "half way through" or "part way" or "in the middle"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Halfway through" and "in the middle" mean the same thing. "Part way through" simply means he started it but left before finishing it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Halfway through" and "in the middle" mean the same thing. "Part way through" simply means he started it but left before finishing it.

So, any of these can be used, did I get it right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're all grammatically correct but you can only use the one that's actually true. He can't have left exactly in the middle and​ just part way through.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They're all grammatically correct but you can only use the one that's actually true. He can't have left exactly in the middle and​ just part way through.

So, please tell me the correct way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't. I don't know when he left!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He left three-quarters of the way through.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
He left three-quarters of the way through.

If I say he left it in the month of April, then I will say "He left the language course one-quarter of the way through", is it correct?

If I say he left it in the middle of the month of November, then what we need to say? And suppose he left it in the month of Feburary, then what we need to say?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that I only suggested using "three quarters of the way through" because your original question suggested that you wanted to use phrases like "halfway through" etc.
In reality, I wouldn't say any of them. I would say "He started a one-year course in January but left in February/April/August/November".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay I understand but could you please tell me whether my sentence is correct or not? And could you please answer those questions as well?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If I say he left it in the middle of the month of November, then what do we need to say? And suppose he left it in the month of February, then what do we need to say?
Say it like that. It's exact enough for most purposes.

Why do you need to express the time of leaving as a precise fraction of a year?

If it started on 1st January and he left on 15th November, you can say he left the course after 319/365ths of a year (320/366ths if it was a leap year).

(I'm pretty sure I got that right.

'Please check.')

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.