Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello
In the morning people usually make the bed. I wonder what they do in the evening before going to bed? What's a natural way to say about this? Get the bed ready? Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might also see/read "turn down the bed" - I don't think it's something most people do these days. It reminds me of the kind of thing servants used to do for their employers.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might also see/read "turn down the bed" - I don't think it's something most people do these days. It reminds me of the kind of thing servants used to do for their employers.

You will still see fancy hotels and similar high end guest services offering turn-down services. I can't say that I've ever stayed in an expensive enough place to experience it first hand.

I occasionally watch a program called "Below Deck", which is a reality tv series about the people working on luxury yacht charters. The stewards frequently talk about 'turn down' as being one of their duties. Of course these people are paying upwards of $50,000 for a 3 day charter, so they're treated like royalty.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will still see fancy hotels and similar high end guest services offering turn-down services. I can't say that I've ever stayed in an expensive enough place to experience it first hand.

When I was traveling a lot for work, I attained the dubious honor of having an elevated status at a hotel I patronized in New Jersey. This gained me the privilege of receiving turn-down service, which was (I'm sure not coincidentally) provided by an attractive young woman on the hotel's staff. I found this extremely uncomfortable, though for some reason it never occurred to me that a single call to the front desk would stop the nightly encounters.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Presumably it also didn't occur to you to get out of the bed before she came to perform the service. ;-)

Alimdul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I didn't suppose to follow such an enjoyable discussion. I just realised that some language usages can even differ among households and you can hardly expect to find the vocabulary of certain areas in common textbooks. I had flipped through some articles about morning and evening routines before posting this question but they weren't so detailed. I suppose an Englishman might sound a little bit strange in my Ukrainian house trying to figure out what to say in a plain Ukrainian.

Status
Not open for further replies.