Can u please tell me what my accent sound like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katexx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
So I recorded myself reading an article and I have a question for native speakers : What does my accent sound like to u ? Is it thick? I was aiming for typical american accent. What can I do to improve it and sound more like a native speaker? Any input will be welcome, thank u ! https://clyp.it/vwikzx34

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You clearly have an accent, though most of the time it doesn't impede comprehension. Sometimes you stress words on the wrong syllable, and some of your vowel sounds seem too heavy. I'll leave it to American speakers to comment on the specifics of typical American English.

PS Could you write words like you in full- it makes the reading experience easier in forums, which aren't chats.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I recorded myself reading an article and I have a question for native speakers : What does my accent sound like to you? Is it thick? I was aiming for a typical American accent. What can I do to improve it and sound more like a native speaker? Any input will be welcome, thank you! https://clyp.it/vwikzx34

Note my changes above. It's important to capitalise proper nouns (eg American) and not to put a space before question marks or exclamation marks. As Tdol said, please use full, standard English words on the forum. "u" does not exist.

If I hadn't already seen your member profile, I would have said you were from somewhere in eastern Europe though I might not have necessarily guessed Poland. It doesn't sound like an American accent to me. It simply sounds like someone with a strong Polish accent reading English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm a native French [strike]reader[/strike] speaker and, for me, you have a good accent and I understand it so (no comma here) it's good, [strike]:)[/strike] but I'm just a student. [strike]:)[/strike]

See above.

DavidTan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
To me it is very comprehensible, you did a wonderful job! i can hear a bit of accent but i can hear a lot of american accent too. i don't know how to speak conversationally but you did a very good job reading.
just my opinion, i am not a teacher by the way.

CherryTree179

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Malaysia
You have a fairly good accent but some of the consonants are too soft such as your 't's, 'l's and 'd's and you don't seem to be stressing the right words or the wrong part of the word is stressed. You can listen to the mp3s recordings at www.listenaminute.com to how the speaker stresses certain words and quickly flows through others. Paying attention to punctuation is important. I think a native speaker would find you hard to understand. I also help students with pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.